E-M:/ K. I. Sawyer AFB Reuse near Marquette

Federal Register: October 27, 1999 (Volume 64, Number 207)]
[Notices]
[Page 57869]
 >From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr27oc99-67]

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE

Department of the Air Force

Record of Decision (ROD) for the Disposal and Reuse of K.I.
Sawyer Air Force Base (AFB), Michigan

     On September 16, 1999, the Air Force issued the Supplemental Record
of Decision (SROD) for the disposal and reuse of K.I. Sawyer AFB,
Michigan. The decisions included in the SROD were made in consideration
of, but not limited to, the information contained in the Final
Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) for the disposal and reuse of
K.I. Sawyer AFB, filed with the Environmental Protection Agency and
made available to the public on February 15, 1996.
     K.I. Sawyer AFB closed on September 30, 1995, pursuant to the
Defense Base Closure and Realignment Act of 1990 (10 U.S.C. 2687 note)
and the recommendations of the Defense Base Closure and Realignment
Commission. The FEIS analyzed potential environmental impacts of the
Air Force's disposal options by portraying a variety of potential land
uses to cover a range of reasonably foreseeable future uses of the
property and facilities by others.
     The Air Force issued a ROD on April 12, 1996, which documented a
series of decisions regarding the intended disposal of Government-owned
property for both public airport and economic development use, together
with the intended termination of certain leases of improved real
property with the County of Marquette, and the disposal of base
utilities.
     The SROD modifies certain decisions made in the ROD, thus
completing the disposal decisions for K.I. Sawyer AFB. Specifically, in
the SROD the Air Force, in consultation with Marquette County, modified
the Airport Public Benefit Transfer, and Economic Development
Conveyance property boundaries and simplified the K.I. Sawyer parcel
disposal map.
     The implementation of these conversion activities and associated
mitigation measures will proceed with minimal adverse impact to the
environment. This action conforms with applicable Feeder, State and
Local statutes and regulations, and all reasonable and practical
efforts have been incorporated to minimize harm to the local public and
the environment.
     Any questions regarding this matter should be directed to Mr. Paul
MacPherson at 703-696-5569. Correspondence should be sent to AFBCA/DB,
1700 North Moore Street, Suite 2300, Arlington, VA 22209-2802.
Janet A. Long,
Air Force Federal Register Liaison Officer.
[FR Doc. 99-28053 Filed 10-26-99; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-05-P

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)