E-M:/ Clinton is waffling! Call for a veto now!

Enviro-Mich message from "Liz Godfrey" <lizgodfrey@prodigy.net>

Clinton is waffling!  Call him and tell him what he is supposed to be doing!

I know, I know, you are tired of hearing about the rider situation on the
Interior Appropriations bill.  Thanks to the true efficiency of Congress, we
have been working against sneak attacks on our nation's environmental laws.
We are truly down to the wire on this one.  The bill has reached its last
line of defense and has reached President Clinton's desk.  The President has
an opportunity to make a statement to Congress and say these undemocratic
means of legislating are not how we make laws in this country.

As usual, however, President Clinton is waffling and engaging in closed door
negotiations with the Republican leadership.  The leadership is trying to
give President Clinton more money for his pet Lands Legacy program so that
he looks the other way on the anti-environmental riders.  We need to let him
know that this is NOT acceptable.

ACTION:  Call President Clinton and tell him to VETO the Interior
Appropriations bill because of the anti-environmental riders.  There should
be NO DEAL until there are NO RIDERS.  202-456-1414 (unfortunately, you can
only call between 9 and 5 eastern time.)

Liz Godfrey
Midwest Federal Organizer
GREEN-the GrassRoots Environmental Effectiveness Network
(608) 294-1338
www.defenders.org/grnhome.html
www.stopextinction.org
"The extinction of species is the folly our descendants are least likely to
forgive us."
--E.O. Wilson