Re: E-M:/ K. I. Sawyer AFB Reuse near Marquette

Swings the heart renewed with peace
even of oblivion.

Oh build your ship of death, oh build it!
for you will need it
for the voyage of oblivion awaits you.
                                  ---D. H. Lawrence

David Holli, former DNR Commissioner and owner of Holli Forest Products and
Sawyer Lumber LLC, hired a Canadian firm employing illegal Canadian workers
for building a special products sawmill at the retired K I Sawyer Air Force
Base near Marquette. Not only did the Border Patrol have to arrest and export
these illegal workers taking Michigan jobs, but Mr. Holli has had the state
subsidize his entire facility.

Holli originally bid one dollar, then "paid" $200,000 for the base. All
$200,000 will be deposited into an account that will be used to finance
future operational costs at the base once his state and federal welfare
grants expire.

Holli received $500,000 from Governor Engler's Jobs Commission to secure
personal property from the Air Force to use on the facility. He has been
awarded another $780,000 from the Jobs Commission in the form of
infrastructure grants for his log stacking yard, sewer, power lines, and
whatever else he needs to deforest.

Mr. Holli is the largest contractor on the Escanabe River State Forest and
will undoubtedly be subsidized more for the wood cut off state land. In
addition to state and federal welfare grants, Sawyer Lumber LLC receives
several million dollars of public money.

 Much of the road expansion going on to support this industrial lock-up of
our national and state forests has also been subsidized by the state of
Michigan and our tax dollars. Recently reconstructed Forest Service Hwy 16 in
part of Houghton county and running through Iron and Barraga counties
provides a direct link for access to haul our forests away. Marquette county
road 553, and upgrades on U.S. 41 to access the AFB are two more examples of
how they are expanding the infrastructure to continue converting our Natural
Heritage into their own industrial forest farms.

Murray Dailey