E-M:/ GOOD news for once

Folks:

Speaker Perricone evidently has pulled SB 205 (preemption of local control
over agriculture) OFF the agenda for today's meeting of the House of
Representatives!  I was informed indirectly by a local township official that
Perricone was already making squawks about the bill at a meeting in his
district last Saturday, and was awaiting a decision by the Legislative
Committee of the Michigan Townships Association that took place yesterday.
Evidently the MTA Leg. Com. decided NOT to accept the recommendation of their
staff that they take a neutral stance on the bill as it was modified and voted
out of the House Ag. Com!!  In any case, the bill is NOT on the House Calendar
for today!

Evidently Perricone was hearing a LOT from local officials in his district
about this bill, and none of it positive.  We also know that he was hearing a
lot from people all over the state who are appalled at this outrageous effort
by the Engler Administration and the Farm Bureau to preempt local controls
over ag operations, including large scale livestock factories.

While I would be astonished if the bill doesn't move forward in some form, the
fact is that the outpouring of disgust at this bill has evidently cut through
the insulation which keeps Michigan's Legislature and Administration out of
touch with their constituents.  Anyone concerned about this bill should assume
that it will come up on the floor in some form very soon, but also take a
moment to celebrate that sometimes the political process can actually be
forced back into working order!!