E-M:/ Green Builders

Enviro-Mich message from "Molly Cole" <molly.cole@wmich.edu>

SW Michigan Green Builders Association

Thanks to an  Energy Center Development grant from the state energy office the WMU Environmental Institute is developing a local Green Builders Association. The purpose of the association is to develop a support system for Green Builders that provides reference materials, sharing of expertise, guest speakers, networking, and  research support. In return the Green Builders will be asked to help develop a master plan for the WELL House, Western's Environmental Living Lab, which is being developed as a model for sustainable living. Once developed the house will be used for courses and community outreach and education. (For more information on the WELL House, see our web page at <http://www.wmich.edu/environmental-studies/wellhous.html>)

 The green building goals for remodelling the WELL House are to:
*	use energy, water, and materials efficiently,
*	cycle materials,
*	use current solar income where applicable,
*	reduce or eliminate the use of hazardous materials,
*	use local expertise and materials when available and
*	maintain an aesthetic and a budget that will be appealing to the citizens of southwest Michigan.

Future projects may allow us to do more futuristic, state-of-the-art, new construction but our current goals are to be able to help and encourage thousands of home owners and builders to take advantage of current and affordable technology and design to protect and heal the environment.

If you're interested in participating in the Green Builders Association please contact me, Molly Cole, at 616/387-2716 or <molly.cole@wmich.edu>. Our first meeting is November 15, at 3:00 pm at the WELL House, 415 Kendall. (See web page for map.)

Program Coordinator
Environmental Studies
WMU Environmental Institute
3930 Wood Hall