From: HeartlakeC@aol.com
To: akimmel@co.lake.il.us, cemken@tnc.org, kalderson@iml.org,
aiken@mail.wiscnet.net (Roy Aiken), curt@savingcranes.org (Curt Meine),
NATTRAILS@aol.com, carl.zichella@sfsierra.sierraclub.org,
HeartlakeC@aol.com, spotts@ncis.net (Richard Spotts), wpra@execpc.com (Steve
Thompson), Ilse.gene@worldnet.att.net (Ilse Wagner), renewal@baraboo.com
(Dave Wernecke), ruth@oppedahl.com (Ruth Oppedahl)
Subject: ACTION ALERT:  HOUSE RESOURCES COMMITTEE TO TAKE ACTION.
Date: Fri, Nov 5, 1999, 3:37 PM

TO:  LWCF Advocates in the Midwest

FROM:   Peter McKeever, Americans for Our Heritage and Recreation, Midwest
Outreach Coordinator

RE: ACTION ALERT: HOUSE RESOURCES COMMITTEE TO TAKE ACTION.

Here is the latest on CARA.  More information will follow, but NOW is the
time to take action.  CARPE CARA.

Everybody should contact as many members of the committee as you can...don't
drop this because your member is not on the committee.

Read on, and then go for it!

**************PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY*******************

Action Alert

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

The House Resources Committee is planning to mark-up CARA next Wednesday,
Nov. 10!  This is the moment we've been waiting for! Congratulations to all
of you for your great efforts.  This is the time when we can push LWCF over
big hurdle!

This is our chance to thank members of the Resources Committee who support
CARA, reaffirm their support for the vote and ask for the support of those
that are still uncommitted.

Getting the bill out of committee, without any amendments, with a strong
vote
of support is our immediate goal!!!

When this happens there are probably enough votes to pass it on the floor.
Best estimates are that the full House will pass CARA if it gets through the
committee.  Your work is paying dividends; invest a bit more time and energy
now!

Most of the issues that have kept CARA bottled up have been resolved.
Chairman Don Young and Ranking Democrat George Miller are eager to move
ahead.  We're at the critical juncture we've glimpsed for months on the
horizon. Now is the time to harness our collective energy and push CARA over
the hump.

A handful of property rights groups that primarily oppose additional Federal
land acquisition as part of Title II have vowed to defeat CARA during
mark-up.

Unless we express our support for CARA as loudly and passionately as these
very activist groups, we may lose critical support.  Republican support
particularly will be essential to getting a successful vote out of committee
and then bring the bill to the floor.

Our mission is clear, and time is short!

We need to convince all members of the Resources Committee to vote for CARA.

We've all worked hard to get this far . . . let's roll up ourselves and make
sure CARA receives the support it deserves.

The most important thing you can do is call, fax or e-mail members of the
Resources Committee and urge them to pass CARA out of the committee without
any amendments.  Some amendments may be submitted; the bill now is a
consensus which has broad support; amendments which serve narrow interests
may throw that broad support out of balance.

 Attached is the list of members of the House Resources Committee. Send this
message to colleagues, friends and family in other states and encourage them
to do the same.

Additionally, the Resources Committee is accepting comments via email at:
CARA@mail.house.gov . Let's make sure they hear loud and clear of our
support for the bill.

Here are 10 reasons to support CARA:

1) CARA is the most sweeping and significant piece of conservation
legislation in half a century.

2) CARA will provide much needed funding for greenbelts, playing fields,
trails, and neighborhood parks.  Outdoor recreation is essential for healthy
families and boosts the quality of life for all Americans.

3) The bipartisan bill before the committee is the result of extensive
negotiations between Republican and Democratic leaders.  It is sensible,
moderate, consensus legislation!

4) CARA has the support of a huge coalition of businesses, conservation
groups, sportsmen's organizations, and municipal leaders.  Forty-nine
governors have expressed their support for the basic concepts in the bill.

5) CARA keeps decision-making at the local and state level, not in D.C.

6) CARA will help protect and restore the nation's coastline.  It will help
states and coastal communities mitigate the impacts of offshore oil and
other types of development.

7) More than 125 members of the House and 21 members of the Senate are
cosponsoring CARA.  CARA's time has come!

8) CARA provides a way to invest revenues from the depletion of the
nation's oil reserves into something of lasting value for all Americans.

9) By providing increased funding for wildlife programs, CARA will reduce
the need for costly and disruptive endangered species listings.  It will
help ensure that common species remain common.

10) Sportsmen will no longer be the only ones contributing financially to
wildlife conservation programs.

PLEASE ACT NOW TO MAKE SURE CARA BECOMES A REALITY!

Call, e-mail or fax as many members of the Resources Committee as possible.
Tell them why you support CARA.  Pass this message on to as many people as
you know.  If you have friends or family in states with Resource Committee
members, please send them this message.

On the next page is the contact information you need.

DON'T SIT BACK.  NOW IS THE TIME TO TAKE THIS STEP FOR LAND AND WATER
CONSERVATION

Future generations will thank us for having worked so hard to pass this
landmark
bill.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to me at
608-223-1275.

************

HOUSE RESOURCES COMMITTEE

** extra priority
 * priority

 Republicans

Don Young, AK, Chairman
Phone: (202) 225-5765
Fax: (202) 225-0425
Email: don.young@mail.house.gov

W.J. (Billy) Tauzin, LA
Phone: (202) 225-4031
Fax: (202) 225-0563
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

James V. Hansen, UT
Phone: (202) 225-0453
Fax: (202) 225-5857
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Jim Saxton, NJ
Phone: (202) 225-4765
Fax: (202) 225-0778
Email: jim.saxton@mail.house.gov

*Elton Gallegly, CA
Phone: (202) 225-5811
Fax: (202) 225-1100
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

John J. Duncan, Jr., TN
Phone: (202) 225-5435
Fax: (202) 225-6440
Email: jjduncan@hr.house.gov

**Joel Hefley, CO
Phone: (202) 225-4422
Fax: (202) 225-1942
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

*John T. Doolittle, CA
Phone: (202) 225-2511
Fax: (202) 225-5444
Email: dolittle@mail.house.gov

Wayne T. Gilchrest, MD
Phone: (202) 225-5311
Fax: (202) 225-0254
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Ken Calvert, CA
Phone: (202) 225-1986
Fax: (202) 225-2004
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

*Richard W. Pombo, CA   (µµ)
Phone: (202) 225-1947
Fax: (202) 225-3402
Email: rpombo@mail.house.gov

Barbara Cubin, WY
Phone: (202) 225-2311
Fax: (202) 225-3057
Email: barbara.cubin@mail.house.gov

Helen Chenoweth-Hage, ID
Phone: (202) 225-6611
Fax: (202) 225-3029
Email: askhelen@hr.house.gov

**George Radanovich, CA   (µµ)
Phone: (202) 225-4540
Fax: (202) 225-3402
Email: george@hr.house.gov

Walter B. Jones, NC
Phone: (202) 225-3415
Fax: (202) 225-3286
Email: congjones@mail.house.gov

**Mac Thornberry, TX
Phone: (202) 225-3706
Fax: (202) 225-3486
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Chris Cannon, UT
Phone: (202) 225-7751
Fax: (202) 225-5629
Email: cannon.ut03@mail.house.gov

Kevin Brady, TX
Phone: (202) 225-4901
Fax: (202) 225-5524
Email: rep.brady@mail.house.gov

**John E. Peterson, PA
Phone: (202) 225-5121
Fax: (202) 225-5796
Email: john.peterson@mail.house.gov

**Rick Hill, MT
Phone: (202) 225-3211
Fax: (202) 225-5687
Email: rick.hill@mail.house.gov

*Bob Schaffer, CO
Phone: (202) 225-4676
Fax: (202) 225-5870
Email: rep.schaffer@mail.house.gov

Jim Gibbons, NV
Phone: (202) 225-6155
Fax: (202) 225-5629
Email: mail.gibbons@mail.house.gov

Mark E. Souder, IN
Phone: (202) 225-4436
Fax: (202) 235-3497
Email: souder@hr.house.gov

Greg Walden, OR
Phone: (202) 225-6730
Fax: (202) 225-5774
Email: greg.walden@mail.house.gov

Don Sherwood, PA
Phone: (202) 225-3731
Fax: (202) 225-9594
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Robin Hayes, NC
Phone: (202) 225-3715
Fax: (202) 225-4036
Email: robin.hayes@mail.house.gov

Michael K. Simpson, ID
Phone: (202) 225-5531
Fax: (202) 225-8216
Email: mike.simpson@mail.house.gov

Thomas G. Tancredo, CO
Phone: (202) 225-7882
Fax: (202) 226-4623
Email: Tom.Tancredo@mail.house.gov

Democrats

George Miller, CA
Phone: (202) 225-2095
Fax: (202) 225-5609
Email: gmiller@hr.house.gov

Nick J. Rahall II, WV
Phone: (202) 225-3452
Fax: (202) 225-9061
Email: nrahall@hr.house.gov

Bruce F. Vento, MN
Phone: (202) 225-6631
Fax: (202) 225-1968
Email: vento@hr.house.gov

Dale E. Kildee, MI
Phone: (202) 225-3611
Fax: (202) 225-6393
Email: dkildee@hr.house.gov

Peter A. DeFazio, OR
Phone: (202) 225-6416
Fax: (202) 225-0373
Email: pdefazio@hr.house.gov

Eni F. H. Faleomavaega, AS
Phone: (202) 225-8577
Fax: (202) 225-8757
Email: faleomavaega@mail.house.gov

Neil Abercrombie, HI
Phone: (202) 225-2726
Fax: (202) 225-4580
Email: neil@abercrombie.house.gov

Solomon P. Ortiz, TX
Phone: (202) 225-7742
Fax: (202) 226-1134
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Owen B. Pickett, VA
Phone: (202) 225-4215
Fax: (202) 225-4218
Email: opickett@hr.house.gov
Frank Pallone, Jr., NJ
Phone: (202) 225-4671
Fax: (202) 225-9665
Email: frank.pallone@mail.house.gov

Calvin M. Dooley, CA
Phone: (202) 225-3341
Fax: (202) 225-9308
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Carlos A. Romero-BarcelŪ, PR
Phone: (202) 225-2615
Fax: (202) 225-2154
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Robert A. Underwood, GU
Phone: (202) 225-1188
Fax: (202) 226-0341
Email: guamtodc@hr.house.gov

Patrick J. Kennedy, RI
Phone: (202) 225-4911
Fax: (202) 225-3290
Email: patrick.kennedy@mail.house.gov

Adam Smith, WA
Phone: (202) 225-8901
Fax: (202) 225-3484
Email: adam.smith@mail.house.gov

Christopher John, LA
Phone: (202) 225-2031
Fax: (202) 225-8976
Email: christopher.john@mail.house.gov

Donna MC Christensen, VI
Phone: (202) 225-1790
Fax: (202) 225-3171
Email: donna.green@mail.house.gov

Ron Kind, WI
Phone: (202) 225-5506
Fax: (202) 225-5739
Email: ron.kind@mail.house.gov

Jay Inslee, WA
Phone: (202) 225-6311
Fax: (202) 226-1606
Email: jay.inslee@mail.house.gov

Grace F. Napolitano, CA
Phone: (202) 225-5256
Fax: (202) 225-0027
Email: grace@mail.house.gov

Tom Udall, NM
Phone: (202) 225-6190
Fax: (202) 226-1331
Email: tom.udall@mail.house.gov

Mark Udall, CO
Phone: (202) 225-2161
Fax: (202) 226-7840
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Joseph Crowley, NY
Phone: (202) 225-3965
Fax: (202) 225-1909
Email: write2joecrowley@mail.house.gov

Rush D. Holt, NJ
Phone: (202) 225-5801
Fax: (202) 225-6025
Email: rush.holt@mail.house.gov

***********

HOUSE RESOURCES COMMITTEE email list to cut and paste. Please remember, for
maximum effectiveness, if you send a group list you should blind carbon copy
it so that they do not see it as a group list.

You are encouraged to contact EACH MEMBER OF THE COMMITTEE.

don.young@mail.house.gov
jim.saxton@mail.house.gov
jjduncan@hr.house.gov
dolittle@mail.house.gov