[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ Public Transportation Summit
- Subject: E-M:/ Public Transportation Summit
- From: "Alex J. Sagady & Associates" <email@example.com>
- Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 00:18:11 -0500
- List-Name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-To: "Alex J. Sagady & Associates" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Enviro-Mich message from "Alex J. Sagady & Associates" <email@example.com>
Forwarded bounced message......from Karen Kendrick-Hands
Transportation Riders United [TRU]=20
A coalition to improve Public Transportation in Metro Detroit
Invites you to=20
Join with MOSES for a FALL SUMMIT ON TRANSPORTATION
A Quest for Action
Tuesday, November 16, 1999, 7 p.m.,
St. James Catholic Church in Ferndale.
On Woodward between 8 and 9 Mile Roads
We believe the citizens of Southeast Michigan deserve a public transit
system that is fully funded according to the state's allotted 10%, so that
equitable services are provided to all citizens, city and suburbs. Join us
as we challenge our local leaders to commit to better mobility for people
in Southeast Michigan. For more information, contact M.O.S.E.S. at
BRING A FRIEND OR FIVE!! FILL THE CHURCH!!
I-375 PUBLIC MEETING The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and
its partner organizations will hold the second I-375 public information
meeting on Thursday, November 18, 1999 from 5 to 8:30 PM at Cobo Conference
Center Room M2-29. MDOT will present the proposed practical alternatives
for improving access to and from the I-375 East Riverfront Area and
continue to receive input from interested citizens.
Next TRU Meeting:
December 9, 1999, 7 pm,=20
Majestic Caf=E9, 4124 Woodward (Between Alexandrine & Willis), Detroit
TRU's History and Purpose:=20
TRU was formed to fill a vacuum in Metro Detroit, inspired in part by last
spring's National Town Meeting on Sustainable America. Since we formed in
March, we have met almost monthly and formed a coalition with active
participation from SORT - Supporters of Regional Transit, who worked for
the SMART MILLAGE, MARP - Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers, CUBS
- Citizens United for Better Service who advocate for improvements to DDOT
Service, and MOSES, - Metropolitan Organizing Strategy Enabling Strength,
itself a coalition of 50 some faith-based organizations looking to stem
sprawl and redress inequities between urban and suburban. TRU is a very
active member of the Michigan Land Use Institute Transportation Project. We
maintain a mailing/email list of approximately 100 and hosted a
Transportation Funding Teach-In, in cooperation with MOSES.=20
Our mission is to bring more balance in transportation options and to
educate community leaders that the purpose of transportation is to provide
efficient cost-effective mobility for people and goods, not cars and trucks.
Our long- range goal is to bring more funding to transit projects, and have
improved transit considered as a viable alternative to massive
sprawl-inducing highway expenditures. Current projects include:
* Providing an informational clearinghouse and promoting interchange on
local regional and state developments that relate to transit.
* Improving bus service on both DDOT and SMART
* Ensuring that Transit gets the full 10% of state transportation dollars
that the Michigan Constitution allows.
* Preserving rail access to downtown on the Dequindre Cut - currently
threatened by the "Casino Driveway"
* Ensuring good transit connectivity downtown as part of its redevelopment
* Establishing "Soft Rail" or Bus Rapid Transit on key Detroit Corridors,=20
* Instituting a Commuter Rail System that will use existing right-of-way
and connect Pontiac, Ann Arbor and Mt. Clemens to Downtown Detroit.
* Providing a Rail connection to the Airport=20
* Monitoring and influencing MDOT road building projects=20
For more info concerning TRU contact: Karen Kendrick-Hands or Stephen Hands
at 313.885.7588. Emails: Karen: firstname.lastname@example.org, Stephen:
email@example.com Larry: firstname.lastname@example.org=20
ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at
Postings to: email@example.com For info, send email to
firstname.lastname@example.org with a one-line message body of "info enviro-mich"