E-M:/ Beware the Ides of November!

Enviro-Mich message from "Liz Godfrey" <lizgodfrey@prodigy.net>

Beware the Ides of November!  Omnibus on the horizon!

It looks as though Congressional negotiators are going to roll the five
remaining Appropriations bills into one large Omnibus bill covering all
agencies that are still unfunded.  We need to get the message to House
members that this bill will in no way be clean.  As far as our informants in
Washington can tell, most of the riders remain unchanged and some of them
may have gotten worse.  Sen. Domenici (R-NM) is attempting to allow grazing
permits to be renewed without environmental review for 10 years, instead of
the compromise which was reached of 1 to 3 years.

It is again critical that we generate calls to Representatives to urge them
to continue to stand tall against anti-environmental riders.  Things will be
moving quickly in the next days and Congressional leadership is going to try
to push this through without much controversy.  It is essential that
Representatives know that the Omnibus bill that comes before them will be
extremely harmful to our nation's air, land, water, and wildlife.

Of particular importance are members of the Appropriations Committees of the
House and Senate.  It is critical that members of these committees work to
send a "clean" bill to the Floor.  Calls should be made to MI Reps.
Knollberg (R-11) and Kilpatrick (D-15) who both serve on this committee.
Urge them to strip the anti-environmental riders from the bill.

CALL YOUR REPRESNTATIVE AND URGE THEM TO OPPOSE ANY OMNIBUS APPROPRIATIONS
BILL THAT COMES BEFORE THEM THAT IS NOT CLEAN OF ANTI-ENVIRONMENTAL RIDERS.
Use the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 to connect to your
Representative.  (If you do not know your Rep., you can use the League of
Conservation finder at www.lcv.org.)  Calls should be focused on all
Democrats and moderate Republicans (particularly, Reps. Ehlers and Upton who
have voted against riders in the past.)

CONTINUE TO PRESSURE THE WHITE HOUSE TO OPPOSE ANY APPROPRIATIONS MEASURE
THAT CONTAINS ANTI-ENVIRONMENTAL RIDERS.  202-456-1414

Thanks for all your help.  If you want more information, please feel free to
contact me.

Liz Godfrey
Midwest Federal Organizer
GREEN-the GrassRoots Environmental Effectiveness Network
(608) 294-1338
www.defenders.org/grnhome.html
www.stopextinction.org
"The extinction of species is the folly our descendants are least likely to
forgive us."
--E.O. Wilson