E-M:/ Calls needed to Congress ASAP, again!

Enviro-Mich message from "Liz Godfrey" <lizgodfrey@prodigy.net>

The time has come in the anti-environmental riders battle to really turn the
heat up on Congress and let them know that legislating through riders is
undemocratic and UNACCEPTABLE.  The White House has been negotiating with
Congressional leaders behind closed doors and has claimed "victory" on a
couple of the riders.  However, the compromises worked out are not pretty.
Today or tomorrow, the five spending bills that have not been completed will
be attached to the DC Appropriations Conference Report for a vote by the
House.  We need to make sure that MI Representatives hear that these bills
are not free of anti-environmental riders.  We need them to oppose these on
the floor.  Call your Representative at 202-224-3121, the Capitol
Switchboard.  Have anyone else you know call as well.  Particular attention
should be focused on Reps. Ehlers and Upton who crossed party lines when the
Interior bill was originally in the House to vote against a number of the
riders.

We also need to continue to apply pressure on President Clinton to veto any
legislation that comes before him containing anti-environmental riders and
the current bills do contain them.  202-456-1414.

Thanks for your help.  Please give me a call or drop me an email if you have
any further questions.

Liz Godfrey
Midwest Federal Organizer
GREEN-the GrassRoots Environmental Effectiveness Network
(608) 294-1338
www.defenders.org/grnhome.html
www.stopextinction.org
"The extinction of species is the folly our descendants are least likely to
forgive us."
--E.O. Wilson