E-M:/ Wisconsin Electric Energy Goes Green in the UP!

Enviro-Mich message from David Wright <wrightd@Voyager.net>

	Wisconsin Electric along with Traverse City Light and Power are to be
commended for the leadership they have taken to bring renewably generated
electricity to their customers.  Both of these utilities have developed
cost-effective programs that will allow their customers to purchase up to
100% of their electricity from green generating sources.

	Unfortunately the utilities providing most of the electricity in Michigan
either do not have renewable options available to their customers, or the
renewable option is expensive and is no longer available.

	I agree with the commission on its commendation of Wisconsin Electric (as
the second utility to be on my renewable energy commendation list - behind
Traverse City).  It sounds like their may be a third Michigan utility
attempting to the crack the "cost-effective" renewable energy barrier.

	Let me know if I missed any other Michigan utilities that need to be on my
renewable commendation list.

>                             MPSC PRESS RELEASE
>                             ------------------
>COMMISSIONERS                                                 CONTACTS
>John G. Strand, Chairman                                      Dorothy Wideman
>David A. Svanda                                                Mary Jo Kunkle
>Robert B. Nelson                                              (517) 334-6983
>

>     LANSING, November 16.  "Wisconsin Electric Power
>Company's electric customers in Michigan  have the
>opportunity to support green power through a renewable
>energy program approved by the Michigan Public Service
>Commission today," the Commission announced.  "The
>Commission commends Wisconsin Electric for its
>leadership in offering renewable energy options to its
>Michigan customers and would encourage other electric
>utility companies to follow suit," noted the Commission
>in its order today.
>
>     Wisconsin Electric filed a request to offer an
>experimental "Energy for Tomorrow" renewable energy
>program to its Michigan customers on August 31, 1999.
>The voluntary program allows Michigan customers to
>support renewable energy purchases by assessing a
>premium on their electric bills.  Residential and
>small commercial customers will pay a premium of
>$0.0051 per kilowatt-hour (kWh) of electricity for
>25% of its electricity from renewable energy.
>Residential and small customers may also choose to
>receive 50% or 100% of their electricity from
>renewable sources at a higher premium.   These
>customers  will be allowed to terminate their
>participation in the program at any time.  Large
>commercial and industrial customers will also have
>the option to  pay a premium to participate in the
>program for 25%, 50% or 100% renewable options.
>Large commercial and industrial customers  will be
>required to sign a contract for the calendar year.
>
>     Renewable energy is electricity generated from
>fuel sources that naturally replenish themselves,
>and include: wind, solar thermal, photovoltaics,
>hydro-electric, geothermal, biomass, landfill gas,
>digester gas, and waste-to-energy.

I TAKE ISSUE WITH THE COMMISSION'S DEFINITION OF RENEWABLE ENERGY -- AS A
PURIST (OR AM I JUST CONSERVATIVE?) WIND, SOLAR THERMAL, PHOTOVOLTAICS,
SOME HYDRO (ONLY VERY SMALL SCALE -- WHERE ECOSYSTEMS ARE NOT DESTROYED OR
PERMANENTLY ALTERED), GEOTHERMAL (NOT NECESSARILY THE GEOTHERMAL BEING
PUSHED BY THE UTILITIES), BIOMASS (MAYBE -- DEPENDING ON THE SOURCE?), AND
DIGESTER GAS QUALIFY FOR ME.  GARBAGE IS NOT A RENEWABLE RESOURCE, IT'S
TIME FOR WASTE-TO-ENERGY TO BE REMOVED.  ALSO, CONVERTING METHANE FROM
LANDFILL GAS TO CARBON DIOXIDE IS GOOD, BUT LANDFILL GAS IS NOT A RENEWABLE.