E-M:/ Keweenaw land trade on Senate Approps Subcom agenda

     Friends:

     On Tuesday Nov. 30 the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on DNR will
     be holding a hearing on a proposal by Champion International to
     exchange 20,000 acres of their land at the very tip of the Keweenaw
     peninsula for up to 37,000 acres of State Forest land in the Copper
     Country State Forest near the Houghton County and Ontonagon County
     lines.  Normally land issues don't go before the Legislature, so it is
     not clear what is planned at this hearing.  The DNR has real
     reservations about the proposed trade, so it may well be that this
     results from concern about a lack of progress.

     The hearing is at 2 p.m. in the Senate Appropriations Hearing Room in
     the State Capitol Building.  Chairman of the Committee is Senator
     George McManus if you wish to write a letter about it.

     While I certainly share reservations about land trades, especially
     since Champion did pretty heavy logging in the area and is asking for
     a lot of very high quality hardwoods stands in exchange, the tip of
     the Keweenaw is a place I can't imagine the state passing up for
     acquisition -- there ain't no place like it anywhere on earth, and if
     it isn't in public hands we can almost bet the shoreline will be
     subdivided and sold.

     Anne Woiwode