"Transportation Improvement Plan."[TIP]. The TAC must propose the projects
for the TIP that attract federal investment dollars. Be there or be square.

2. DDOT Woodward Corridor Study to Evaluate Transit Options
Wednesday, December 1, 1999
Stakeholders Afternoon Meeting - 1 pm
General Public - 6:30 to 9 pm
First Congregational Church
33 E Forest at Woodward Avenue.  Parking available in lot behind church on
north side of Forest
These meetings will allow discussion of options to improve transit along
the Woodward Corridor in Detroit.
For more info contact Barbara Hansen, DDOT, 313.224.2190 One option for the
Woodward Corridor is the Curitiba Busway Initiative

TRU supports the establishment of a Curitiba Busway system in Detroit (Soft
Rail.) The Metropolitan Affairs Corporation and SEMCOG have been advocating
study of this system recently as reported by Crain's Detroit Business. This
is an express bus system. The major aspects of this system are:

* Restricted, at-grade bus lanes to minimize travel time, and remove buses
from auto traffic lanes
* Prioritized signaling for buses to minimize travel time.
* Stops at least 0.5 miles apart to minimize travel time.
* Pre-paid boarding to minimize stop time.
* Boarding at grade to minimize stop time.

We invite you to consider how to transfer Curitiba's Soft Rail Vision to
the hub and spokes of Metro Detroit. TRU believes that a system such as
this can be more competitive than driving a car and parking. Detroit can
establish this system now because the major surface streets have spare
capacity for the bus lanes.

3. Public Meeting I-75 Corridor Study I-75 Capacity Improvement Project
M-DOT is starting a study to improve the I-75 corridor north of Detroit.
Traffic along I-75 is frequently very heavy during the high demand times of
day. How much will M-DOT propose spending on increasing the capacity of
I-75 and its feeder roads? Is the Southeast Michigan Regional Rail Study
being considered as a capacity increasing mechanism? Shouldn't both the
I-375 and the I-75 projects be looked at together? If they were, the rail
option would be the obvious solution to meet increasing demand for
capacity. The Pontiac to Renaissance Center commuter rail line with a
capital cost of about $45 million, could provide alternatives which would
reduce the need for a pavement solution to handle capacity needs.
Discussion of alternatives to address I 75 congestion problems in Oakland
County. Show up and make sure that meaningful transit choices are included
in the list of alternatives. MDOT will surely opt for more pavement for
cars, unless we press for options for people

Tuesday, December 7 @ 3:30 pm
Oakland County commissioners Auditorium, 1200 N. Telegraph Rd, Pontiac

Tuesday, December 7 @ 7:00 pm
Hazel Park Library, 123 E. Nine Mile Road, Hazel Park  (SMART Route 710)

Wednesday, December 8 @ 9:00 am
Independence Township Public Library meeting room, 6495 Clarkston Road

4. Public Meeting I-73 Feasibility Study - This is the second public
meeting to discuss a brand new Interstate connecting Jackson Michigan and
Toledo, Ohio.  Brand new interstates mean less money to maintain local and
state road networks already in place and nothing leftover for transit
improvements.  I-73 will likely connect with the I-69 porkbarrel fiasco
through the heart of Indiana farmland at the cost of billions of dollars to
save 12 minutes. No maps or substantive info up yet on MDOT's site:
http://www.mdot.state.mi.us/I-73

For more info about either meeting call: 517.373.2160, office of MDOT's
spinmeister, Gary Naeyaert

Wednesday, December 8 @ 3:00 pm
Monroe City Hall, Council Chambers, 120 East 1st Street, Monroe.

Wednesday, December 8 @ 7:00 pm
Adrian City Hall, Commission Chambers, 100 East Church Street, Adrian

Thursday, December 9 @ 12:00 pm
Student Center, Baker College of Jackson 2800 Springport Road, Jackson , MI

This is the second public meeting to discuss a brand new Interstate
connecting Jackson Michigan and Toledo, Ohio.  Brand new interstates mean
less money to maintain local and state road networks already in place and
nothing leftover for transit improvements.  I-73 will likely connect with
the I-69 porkbarrel fiasco through the heart of Indiana farmland at the
cost of billions of dollars to save 12 minutes. No maps or substantive info
up yet on MDOT's site: http://www.mdot.state.mi.us/I-73

For more info about either meeting call: 517.373.2160, office of MDOT's
spinmeister, Gary Naeyaert

Transit supporters are most welcome to attend TRU's Next Meeting:
December 9, 1999, 7 pm,
Majestic Café, 4124 Woodward (Between Alexandrine & Willis), Detroit

Karen D. Kendrick-Hands
Air Policy Director,
East Michigan Environmental Action Council
Co-founder, Transportation Riders United
1067 Devonshire Road
GRosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
313.885.7588, fax 313.885.7883
kdkhands@voyager.net

If you don't ask the right questions, you will never get to the right
answers . . .