E-M:/ CLEAN CAR PLEDGE--SIGN-ON!

Enviro-Mich message from c griffith <charlesg@ecocenter.org>

SIGN-ON TO THE CLEAN CAR PLEDGE!

Several campaigns are now underway to promote the production and sale of
vehicles with less impacts on the environment.  In addition to NRDC's
EarthsmartCar campaign that you may have read about yesterday, a coalition
of organizations, including Michigan's own Ecology Center and Michigan
Environmental Council, have recently launched the CLEAN CAR CAMPAIGN which
is also collecting pledges from consumers interested in "buying green."
While similar, our campaign also targets the polluting manufacturing
practices that are all too familiar here in the "automotive state."
Please see below for more information, and take the Pledge today!

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO SUPPORT CLEANER CARS BY TAKING THE CLEAN CAR
PLEDGE: http://www.cleancarcampaign.org/pledge.html

The Clean Car Pledge demands that automakers make available on the market
vehicles that:
(1) are 50% more fuel efficient than other vehicles in their class;
(2) meet California's stringent tailpipe emission standards (SULEV); and
(3) are cleanly manufactured with non-toxic recyclable materials.
Several automakers are expected to offer vehicles next year that
may come close to meeting the Campaign's standard.

While we expect the campaign to lead to actual purchases of more
environmentally friendly vehicles in the near-term, these standards also
challenge automakers to design and offer future vehicles which incorporate
the best environmental practices from this global industry.  Your pledge
will help to deliver a strong message to automakers that the vehicle
choices currently available do meet those environmental expectations.

With the Detroit Auto Show coming up in January, we have a prime
opportunity to let auto makers know that we are serious about clean cars.
Please help us to gather thousands of pledges by early next year by filling
out the on-line pledge at: http://www.cleancarcampaign.org/pledge.html.
Also, please pass this message along to your friends and family, or send an
alert through your own organization.

Check out our web site http://www.cleancarcampaign.org to find more
information about the Clean Car Campaign.  We are asking organizations to
endorse our efforts and become allied members.  To learn more,
visit our web site or email us at info@cleancarcampaign.org.   We can
provide you with sample newsletters, flyers and much more!

Thanks for your time and effort!

Clean Car Campaign Coordinating Organizations:

American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy
Ecology Center of Ann Arbor, MI
Environmental Defense Fund
Great Lakes United
Michigan Environmental Council
Union of Concerned Scientists

Charles Griffith, Ecology Center
117 N. Division, Ann Arbor, MI  48104
734/663-2400, x116(ph)/-2414 (fax)
charlesg@ecocenter.org

Want to show your support for greener vehicles?  Sign the Clean Car Pledge,
at: http://www.cleancarcampaign.org/pledge.html