E-M:/ Everybody look what's going down

Enviro-Mich message from jbobrin@bizserve.com (Janis Bobrin)

While I very much appreciate Sue Julian's dedication to this issue, and to
Michigan's waterways, the posting she has provided re. proposed revisions
to the Michigan Drain Code is far from accurate.  While the bill is not
perfect, for the first time it contains broad directives to drain
commissioners regarding a new MANDATED responsibility to protect water
quality and the environment, to mitigate and minimize environmental impacts
of drain projects, and to look at alternatives....giving priority to
detention and retention of storm water, over drainage and conveyence. There
is indeed more public input into drain projects, and better public notice
as well.

As one of the co-authors of the watershed mmt. provision of the proposed
revised code, I can state uncategorically that this is no "John Engler
Strategy."  Watershed management cannot be mandated top-down; it must
involve ALL of the local community leaders as well as ALL of the
stakeholders in a watershed.  Watershed mmt is about engaging communities
and citizens..... about changing land use practices, citizen stewardship,
public education, and much more.  I encourage you to take the time to read
the watershed mmt. section of the proposed drain code, wherein drain
commissioners are simply one entity at the table, and cannot initiate or
control the process, or determine if and how money is spent..

I am not saying it's a perfect bill, but as a drain commissioner who knows
the current law (and as a Michigan citizen who has worked on environmental
issues for 25 years, chaired East Michigan Environmental Action Council,
and currently chairs the Huron River Watershed Council) I AM SAYING THAT
THE PROPOSED BILL IS A GREAT STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.  It gives me
tools and authority to protect the environment that do not exist in the
current law.

I am available to discuss the proposed legislation with any one who would
like to do so.  Phone # is (734)994.2525.  The best e-mail to use is not
the one above (though it will work), but rather,
bobrinj@co.washtenaw.mi.us

Janis Bobrin
Washtenaw County Drain Commissioner
P.O. Box 8645
Ann Arbor, MI 48107-8645
Phone: (734) 994.2525  Fax (734)994.2459
E-mail: bobrinj@co.washtenaw.mi.us