Re: E-M:/ Everybody look what's going down

Enviro-Mich message from "David Zaber" <dzaber@chorus.net>

Michiganders,

The proposed drain bill (4803) is flawed.

It will force the public to pay for ecologically-destructive drain projects
by subjecting public lands (state forests, parks, etc.) to payment
provisions for drain works.

It allows decisions to be made before adequate environmental analyses are
conducted, if they are conducted at all.

It continues to limit the public's role in oversight and decision-making on
drain matters.

It places excessive decision making authority into the hands of a few people
for decisions that have the potential to impact large numbers of citizens
and create serious and irreversible environmental damage.

It also shifts water quality authority away from agencies entrusted to
enforce Clean Water Act provisions to drain commissioners.  If all of the
state's drain commissioners were Ms. Bobrin, I would not worry about the
bill.  Unfortunately, they are not.  And a trip to any number of Michigan
waterways (read "drains") outside of Washtenaw county will show you just how
different they are.

Without strong laws with clear procedures that allow for meaningful public
participation throughout the decision-making process, the degradation of
Michigan waterways via actions of the drainage districts will continue.
Providing funding for local watershed groups, while commendable and useful,
does not substitute for the real mechanisms for citizen oversight and
enforcement.  HR 4803 throws out the baby with the bathwater so to speak.
Don't let  the carrot of a few dollars for watershed councils distract you
from the need for a great big stick that all citizens, not just drain
commissioners can use.

David J. Zaber
Western Lakes Wildlife Center
dzaber@chorus.net