E-M:/ Rider Wrap-Up: Who's Naughty and Nice

Enviro-Mich message from "Liz Godfrey" <lizgodfrey@prodigy.net>

Rider Wrap-Up: Who's been naughty and who's been nice.

As you may or may not now, early last week President Clinton signed the
Omnibus Appropriation bill which included funding for 5 Federal Departments.
The bill was slimmed down from 59 anti-environmental riders to only a
handful.  This is good news, but is not the goal we were looking for.
President Clinton promised to veto _any_ bill that came to his desk
containing anti-environmental riders.  Many MI legislators also voted for a
bill that was marred by anti-environmental riders.

As Congress has adjourned this session of the 106th, it is a great time to
write letters or make phone calls to your Representative and Senators
thanking them for voting against the riders or letting them know your
displeasure for them voting against your wishes in favor of the bill.  I've
attached a list of the MI Congresspeople and how they voted.  Please take a
few minutes to let them know your concern about these anti-environmental
riders.  The best way to prevent these sneak attacks on our nation's
environmental laws is to let Congress know that we are aware of what they
are doing and we are not happy with it.

The Capitol Switchboard is 202-224-3121 if you would wish to call.  To write
letters, use these addresses:

For the House:
The Honorable Firstname Lastname
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, D.C.  20510

For the Senate:
The Honorable Firstname Lastname
United States Senate
Washington, D.C.  20515

Then start your letter with "Dear Senator Levin," or "Dear Representative
Rivers,".

Again I cannot express to you my sincere thanks for all of your phone calls
and letters throughout the past months.  This is by far the most successful
"Appropriations season" that we have had in years and it is because
concerned citizens across the country let their elected officials know they
were concerned about these undemocratic attacks on our nation's
environmental laws.

Thank you!!

Liz Godfrey
Northland Federal Organizer
GREEN-the GrassRoots Environmental Effectiveness Network
(608) 294-1338
www.defenders.org/grnhome.html

Votes on the Omnibus Appropriations bill

Yeas:
Hoekstra
Bonior
Camp