E-M:/ SB 205 Passes

As outrageous as the passage of the "Say Yes to Pig Poop" Bill SB 205 is,
I want to say an immense THANK YOU to the hundreds of people who wrote,
called, attended meetings, and generally let it be known that this was an
absolutely unacceptable bill to even be considered by our legislature. In
a business where progress is far too often measured in terms of how long
did we hold off the extraordinarily well-funded interests instead of
actual success, the family farmers, environmentalists and township
officials brought about a standoff against Big Pig, Agribusiness giants
working in cahoots with the Engler Administration for much longer than I
would have hoped for based on the initial slide through the Senate.

But folks, IT AIN'T OVER YET.  THERE IS NO REASON WHATSOEVER TO LET JOHN
ENGLER OFF THE HOOK ON THIS BILL!!!!! Letters, phone calls, faxes,
letters to the editor, Op-Ed pieces, call-in shows, etc.  You know what
is WRONG with this bill -- Tell the Gov JUST SAY NO TO THE DESTRUCTION OF
RURAL QUALITY OF LIFE IN MICHIGAN --JUST SAY NO TO SB 205.

ALSO, as soon as the votes on this bill are available I will post them to
Enviro-Mich.  I would STRONGLY urge that everyone write or call their
legislators THIS WEEK and let them know what you think of their vote on
this bill.  Accountability to constituents seems to be a foreign idea to
some of these folks -- they need to be disabused of that feeling.

And then, start checking out the campaign contributions of those who
voted to destroy the last vestige of control over confined animal feeding
operations in Michigan. You can do that through the MI Secretary of
State's website.  From other states we KNOW that the money flowed like
manure slurry into a lagoon as legislation favoring Big Pig got passed.
It may take a while, but you can bet that there will be fattening of the
PACs and campaign committees akin to the fattening of pigs for slaughter
in the next few months from Agribusiness all over.  Perhaps we can take
comfort in the assumption that this rolling over of local control will
have cost Big Pig a lot of money.  And when election time rolls around,
remember who ignored the family farms and pooped up our water.

A major thanks to Patty Cantrell at the Michigan Land Use Institute and
Julie Stoneman and others at Michigan Environmental Council for working
this to the bitter end.  And also to the phenomenal folks who spoke from
their hearts about the loss of the lives they loved to the odor and
destruction of water quality in their homes.  You ALL deserve better than
the Lansing insiders were willing to give you -- don't forget and don't
give up.

Anne Woiwode

     Around 4:45 Thursday morning, the Michigan House passed SB
205,
   the bill that precludes local governments from zoning to protect
communities from farm nuisances.  Michigan now has neither preventative state
standards NOR local controls to protect the environment and public health
from these mega manure farms.   MEC, the Michigan Land Use Institute, Sierra
Club, Michigan Townships Association and others opposed the bill.
Empassioned arguments against the bill were made by Reps. Brater, LaForge,
Bogardus, Dennis, and Jamnick.  The vote for the last bill of the 1999 year
was 61 to 48, mostly along party lines.

There was a promise made by Rep. Green (R-Mayville), chair of the House Ag
committee, to create a subcommittee to look into the problems of large
factory farms.  It will be up to Michigan citizens to hold him to that
promise and make sure all those who were not given the opportunity to testify
against SB 205 earlier in his committee are given a chance this time around.

Check the House Journal for December 9 at www.michiganlegislature.org for
roll call votes.

---Your up all night correspondents, Julie Stoneman, MEC, and Patty Cantrell,
Michigan Land Use Institute