E-M:/ Forest Service Meetings on Wild Area Designation Process

Forwarded bounced message from Tim Flynn.....

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:57:33 -0500
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Anti-roadless area folks flood Forest Service meetings
From: Tim Flynn <flynn@voyager.net>
To: <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
 > Enviro-Mich message from doug welker <dwelker@up.net>
 >
 > Unless YOU put in your two cents to the Forest Service about the need for
 > additional roadless area designations on our national forests, public input
 > on the President's Roadless Initiative will likely be highly skewed in
 > favor of those who oppose designation of new roadless areas.
Doug,
Thanks for the heads up. The next meeting is this Thursday night
(Dec16th) in Cadillac at 6pm at Bill Oliver's Best Western. And also this
Thurday in Manistque in the UP at the high school at 4 and 8 pm.
If you care about forests show up and support roadless areas. In Michigan,
especially the NLP, roadlless areas are rare and small. We need support
for lowering the protection threshold to 1000 acres (from the proposed 5000
acres) and ask that they look for areas where roadlessness can be regrown!
There are a number of "roadless" areas of 1000 acres in size if you only
count graded county roads and not two track trails.
In Michigan this should be the standard, and we should seek support for
restoring roadlessness to our forests.
Please show up and tell the Forest Services that we value roadless areas on
OUR lands.
Also I have a map of almost all the roads(including some of the two tracks)
in the northern lower peninsula, taken from a GIS file. It's in GIF format
and about 160K, I can send it to anyone who wants it. It'll knock your
sock off, and remember there are even more road than this map shows. Also
included are the National Forest boundaries.
Let me know if you'd like to see it. Reply to flynn@voyager.net
Tim Flynn