Re: E-M:/ Tire incineration at GM

Enviro-Mich message from RobC313@aol.com

>From what I've heard the GM Poletown Plant that straddles Hamtramck and
Detroit is planning to convert their current coal fired boiler to a shredded
tire burner.  This is an outrage as GM should be moving away from coal to
natural gas. Instead they want to replace their dirty coal with even-worst
tires.   I believe MDEQ allows tire burning as a fuel but they also allow
lots of other environmentally disastrous practices.  Even if GM claims it is
legal, we must make them know that we think its immoral and bad for their
image to have their Flagship Caddy plant poluting our  neighborhoods.

The Hamtramck Environmental Action Team  will do whatever possible to keep
burning tires out of Poletown.  Fortunately our City Council is
environmentally enlightened and can be counted on for a resolution against
the tire burning. If anybody else could find out more about this lets keep
each other informed.  At this point I am not sure of the actual plan and
there is the unsettled difference between what I had heard about converting
an existing boiler, and -Scott Heinzman's having heard about possible new
construction.   If its new construction they will need a permit, however if
it is a "minor" conversion of an existing process they may get by without a
permit or public input.

In the morning I will try the direct approach and call the plant and ask what
they are up to.  If I learn anything Ill let you know.

We need to put a stop to this before it begins.

Rob
HEAT