Re: E-M:/ Tire incineration at GM

> Enviro-Mich message from RobC313@aol.com

> >From what I've heard the GM Poletown Plant that straddles Hamtramck and
> Detroit is planning to convert their current coal fired boiler to a shredded
> tire burner.  This is an outrage as GM should be moving away from coal to
> natural gas. Instead they want to replace their dirty coal with even-worst
> tires.   I believe MDEQ allows tire burning as a fuel but they also allow
> lots of other environmentally disastrous practices.  Even if GM claims it is
> legal, we must make them know that we think its immoral and bad for their
> image to have their Flagship Caddy plant poluting our  neighborhoods.

The first thing to determine is whether it will pollute neighborhoods.
Determine what the allowed stack gas emission limits will be, and
what the technology is claimed to be able to do, and then decide on
a course of action. Perhaps a clean technology (which would require stack
gas scrubbing) has been developed.

--Rane L. Curl