Re: E-M:/ All My Communities:The Grinch who stole Meridian

Enviro-Mich message from "Karen D. Kendrick-Hands" <kdkhands@voyager.net>

WAY COOL! Does MEC or enviro-mich have an enviro-poet laureat of the decade
award.  I nominate the author!!!!

At 11:02 AM 12/23/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from anne.woiwode@sfsierra.sierraclub.org
>

>The Grinch Who Stole Meridian
>(with apologies to Clement Moore and Dr. Seuss)
>

>T'was three days before Christmas, and Meridian Twp. Hall
>Was packed with citizens heeding the call.
>They had come through the snow, one hundred souls strong,
>To tell DEQ something here is dreadfully wrong.
>Meridian, a place of neighborhoods and beauty
>Is being lost to officials not doing their duty.
>
>The Township, they say, is being lost
>Acre by acre to those for whom cost
>Is just a modest and temporary glitch
>That stands in the way of becoming quite rich.
>And helping the developers achieve their pursuit
>Are Trustees who clearly don't give a hoot.
>
>The citizens had come festooned and adorned
>With hints of holidays temporarily forsworn
>As they sought, with all of their hearts and their minds
>To win back their hometown, once peaceful and fine.
>These people were wishing and begging and pleading
>That the DEQ staff do what the township is needing.
>
>"Paving is covering our township, and lots of big boxes
>are driving out greenspace for wildlife like foxes.
>Soon we know that floodwaters will be unimpeded
>As stores and development, largely unneeded,
>Cover most of the ground, and block off the recharge
>of groundwater for wells in a township now grown large.
>
>"And what of the traffic, 10K trucks and cars?
>And what of pollution that blocks out the stars?
>The sounds and smells of a worsening lifestyle
>that is destroying what has made Meridian worthwhile.
>We know that our township won't stay just the same
>But where is the balance that must be reclaimed?"
>
>The developer's spokesman, a Grinch of a man,
>Intoned in words both patronizing and bland
>That these issues are simple, and can't be denied
>The Company he works for, the one that's called Eyde
>Will have what they want, its a foregone conclusion
>So stop all the complaining, and forget your illusions.
>
>His words, though striking our hearts like a dagger
>Held a truth that makes our democracy stagger.
>For the battle fought was engaged long ago
>When none of the citizens were at all in the know.
>Seems the developers of every stripe and condition
>Helped finance the campaigns that won the election.
>
>The DEQ staff, well-meaning and candid
>Gave the crowd a chance that let them expand
>upon their concerns, to document and admonish
>A Board that has done much to astonish
>The people of Meridian with their disregard so deep
>For the public trust we thought them elected to keep.
>
>But in the end these state officials explained
>That the limits of their power left them quite pained.
>They have authority only to deal with the wetlands
>And floodways, and that most of the demands
>Of the citizens, though all thoughtful and well-founded
>Are by weak state laws fundamentally confounded.
>
>The decision's not made, but the message was clear
>The DEQ cannot right the wrongs occurring here.
>The Board that has voted without a concern
> [...]
Karen D. Kendrick-Hands
Air Policy Director,
East Michigan Environmental Action Council
Co-founder, Transportation Riders United
1067 Devonshire Road
GRosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
313.885.7588, fax 313.885.7883
kdkhands@voyager.net

If you don't ask the right questions, you will never get to the right
answers . . .