Re: E-M:/ FW: Fwd: LWCF President Sign-on Extension - DO NOT SIGN!!

Enviro-Mich message from Doug Cornett <drcornet@up.net>

"The prevailing philosophy seems to be that if there is money to be had,
just take it and don't ask where it came from.  TWW members and allies
(many of whom are on public payroll) have been devoting significant
resources and time to organizing and lobbying for CARA.   Did you even know
that they are speaking for you?"

Enviro-Michers:

Regarding the LWCF sign-on letter to President Clinton, Peter McKeever and
Tom Woiwode state that they are not asking you to endorse the LWCF/CARA
legislation.  Yet, in a November Action Alert sent by McKeever (found
below), it is stated that the CARA legislation is fully supported by
Americans for Our Heritage and Recreation (AHR) - the very organization
McKeever works for!  Action Alerts from GREEN and Sierra Club's Maryland
Chapter state that CARA is the WORST part of the LWCF/CARA compromise bill!
(Also posted below)

I maintain that the LWCF/CARA compromise bill is BAD legislation and THAT
is what your organization supports by signing-on to the Clinton letter.

Don't let Woiwode or McKeever fool you!  I invite Mr. McKeever or Mr.
Woiwode to debate the merits of the sign-on letter on this list-serve if
they are so confident that GREEN or the Sierra Club's Maryland chapter is
wrong in their analysis of the bill.

Sincerely,

Doug Cornett
Northwoods Wilderness Recovery

P.S.  If you've signed AHR's letter to Clinton, you might want to
reconsider and have your organization's name removed by the Jan. 5, 2000
deadline.

NOTE:  This post is Michigan-specific because Michigan would receive at
least $13 million annually for conservation projects from the legislation.

------------
Tom Woiwode wrote:

Doug Cornett responded to the earlier message by suggesting this was "bad
legislation" and should not be endorsed.  Attached is the response from the
coordinator of the LWCF initiative in the Midwest.  Please note that the
sign-on request is not directly tied to any piece of legislation; it focuses
on full funding of LWCF.

------------

----

> [...]

>actually be spent, leaving the LWCF subject to the functional
>equivalent of the yearly appropriations process that has critically
>underfunded it for the last two decades.
>
>While many in the environmental community see this new bill as an
>historic opportunity to permanently fund the LWCF, we are in a very
>dangerous situation as this bill moves to the House floor for
>consideration, probably sometime early in the next session of Congress.
>The current strategy of many environmental groups is to try and fix the
>problems enumerated above once the bill gets to the House floor.  The
>real danger is that with so much money on the table, some groups and
>other interests, including a majority in Congress and the President,
>will support a compromised bill even if all the bad provisions are not
>removed.
>
>GREEN continues to support Representative George Miller's Resources
>2000 bill which already has 107 cosponsors in the House of
>Representatives.  Grassroots activists all across the country have
>worked long and hard to advance Resources 2000.  H.R. 798 has full
>permanent funding for the LWCF without any of the environmentally
>damaging provisions contained in the bill that the House Resources
>Committee has just marked up.  Like all of the environmental groups,
>GREEN wants to see full and permanent funding for the LWCF and more
>money spent to protect and restore endangered species and non-game
>wildlife.  GREEN supports efforts to accomplish those objectives but
>believes that in the current Congress trying to "fix" this comprise
>CARA bill is a very risky endeavor.  That is why GREEN continues to
>recommend that grassroots activists continue to push Resources 2000 as
>the best legislative vehicle to permanently fund the LWCF and to serve
>as a standard against which legislation such as this compromise bill
>can be measured.
>
>Action: Call your Representatives and Senators and ask them to become
>cosponsors of either Representative George Miller's Resources 2000 H.R.
>798 or Senator Barbara Boxer's S. 446.  Let them know that there is
>overwhelming support among the American people for full permanent
>funding for the Land and Water Fund and that Resources 2000 is the best
>legislative vehicle to provide for that funding.  Let them know that
>you and your family want Resources 2000.  You can reach your
>congressional legislator by calling the Capitol switch board at (202)
>224-3121.
>
>If you would like to see if your Representative is already a cosponsor
>of H.R. 798 check out the Thomas website:
>http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d106:HR00798:@@@P
>
>For the U.S. Senate and S. 446 see:
>http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d106:SN00446:@@@P
>
>TOOLS: For evaluating this new draft bill, you can see a side-by-side
>comparison of the Miller/Boxer and Young/Landrieu bills on GREEN's

-----------------------

Newly Hatched "Conservation and Reinvestment Act/CARA" -- Lands Legacy or
the Frankenstein of Conservation Legislation?

During the closing days of the 1999 Congressional Session, the House =
Resources Committee passed a long-awaited "compromise" bill for =
permanent and mandatory funding of the Land and Water Conservation Fund
(LWCF) with royalties from offshore oil production on the Outer =
Continental Shelf (OCS).  House floor action and/or Senate markup is =
anticipated early in the next session.  Despite glowing reports fed to
the press by supporters,  this is no time for environmentalists to =
rejoice. A closer look reveals that despite numerous improvements this
"compromise" -- the Conservation and Reinvestment Act (CARA), HR 701--
still might better be described as a Faustian Bargain sure to make =
Alaska coasts and wilderness the new national sacrifice area to our =
wanton energy consumption.

Offshore oil development brings with it water pollution, air pollution,
and the potential for spills, as well as onshore roads, pipelines,
refineries and other infrastructure that pose a major threat to fish and
wildlife habitat and to the environmental quality for human residents.
The hostile and fragile Arctic environment takes centuries to repair this
kind of harm. Yet for the past few years the two titans of North Slope
oil production, BP Amoco and ARCO, have been seeking to expand into 10
million offshore acres of the Beaufort Sea, at the very doorstep of the
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge - their wish may be granted very soon
after Congress returns in early 2000.

INCENTIVES FOR LEASING AND PRODUCTION

Title I of the new CARA still contains language that spells danger for
marine and coastal habitat and living resources.  Specifically, CARA
provides major incentives for oil development in sensitive frontier =
areas off Alaska.  It appears that the allocation scheme excludes leased
tracts within the moratorium areas on which there was no production as of
1/1/99 from the calculation of which states get money and how much they
get, a helpful step forward.

However, since Alaska (outside of Bristol Bay) is not subject to the
moratorium, the state will have a major incentive to accept new leasing,
given that 50% of its allocation will be based on leasing.  The direct
pass-through to local governments of 50% of a state's allocable share is
particularly damaging.  The proximity-based incentives remain and will
provide a major incentive for local governments in Alaska AND OTHER
PRODUCING STATES to accept more =
leasing and development.

"Qualified OCS revenues" appears to exclude revenues from all tracts =
(leased and unleased) within the moratorium areas on which there is no
production as of 1/1/99, which is a helpful clarification.  However,
under the definition, revenues from leasing and production in Alaska =
outside of Bristol Bay would apparently be used to fund all titles of the
bill. This creates a major incentive for all the many beneficiaries of
the bill, including Maryland's public lands and wildlife programs,  to
support accelerated leasing and development in Alaska in order to provide
revenues for the activities funded by the bill.

MASSIVE SLUSH FUNDS FOR OIL STATES

Title I provides for "coastal impact assistance" through revenue- sharing
with OCS states.  While the bill authorizes good uses of the money, there
is a catchall use that would allow funds to be spent on =
construction projects that could further harm coastal areas and with no
restriction on the amount. By allowing open-ended funds from offshore oil
royalties for projects that involve dredging, filling wetlands, and
coastal armoring,  the $1 billion pot of money diverts 27% of the
nation's offshore oil revenues from our national treasury to a massive,
unrestricted and potentially destructive pork barrel for oil states
(several hundred million annually to Louisiana). And by allotting a
relatively minor portion of this money to be distributed to other coastal
states including Maryland,  Mr. Young has purchased their acquiescence.
The effect is to invite major environmental harm to coastal and marine
ecosystems and the fisheries they support, especially in the Gulf of
Mexico and Alaska.  Shared revenues should instead be clearly earmarked
for coastal conservation, most especially the restoration of Louisiana's
ravaged coastal wetlands.

Title II  provides permanent mandatory funding for  LWCF until 2015, =
three years after the Presidential deferral of new lease sales ends.   =
Approval of expenditures for individual projects still remains with =
Congressional appropriators.  Of course,  Congress could have voted full
appropriations for FY2000 under current law, but they did not and have
not for over a decade.   Instead, the Alaska and Louisiana delegations
have used LWCF to mask a wholly different agenda.

Although Title III  provides much needed state wildlife money it fails to
detail the kind of planning that was so carefully worked out  by =
state wildlife and game agencies, nor does it make providing for =
non-game needs a priority.

To top it all off, the oil companies, who have habitually avoided making
their full royalty payments and have been granted various royalty
deferrals and tax breaks by Congress, would not have to pay one
additional cent.

Regrettably Maryland's Department of Natural Resources, =
wildlife-affiliated businesses, and even some conservation groups, have
been so eager to assure that LWCF is permanently funded and that their
programs receive some secure new monies that they have taken the bait and
joined forces in a full-scale coalition campaign known as "Teaming with
Wildlife" (TWW) that omits mention of these inconvenient facts. The
prevailing philosophy seems to be that if there is money to be had, just
take it and don't ask where it came from.  TWW members and allies (many
of whom are on public payroll) have been devoting significant resources
and time to organizing and lobbying for CARA.   Did you even know that
they are speaking for you?

A flawed outcome with far-reaching adverse consequences for our nation's
coasts, Alaska's wilderness, and the Federal Treasury can only be avoided
by vigorous action on the House floor, in the Senate, and by President
Clinton to eliminate the "poison pills" still tucked so skillfully into
HR 701.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

**** write or call our State Congressional Delegation and the =
President and urge them to see to it to that LWCF AND WILDLIFE FUNDING BE
DONE RIGHT OR NOT AT ALL!  Tell them that incentives for drilling and
slush funds for infrastructure must be deleted from any land =
conservation legislation that relies on offshore oil revenues.

TO VIEW THE FULL TEXT OF CARA, HR 701: =
http://www.house.gov/resources/ocs

For side-by-side comparision of LWCF bills currently in Congress: =
http://www.defenders.org/inter14.html

For more information and factsheets on HR 701 and the Congressional =
moratorium on offshore leasing:  Vivian Newman,  tel. 410-442-5639; =
email: newviv@erols.com)