E-M:/ Updated Agenda for TRU Meeting Jan 18 7pm Majestic Cafe Detroit

Enviro-Mich message from "Karen D. Kendrick-Hands" <kdkhands@voyager.net>

Based on responses during Agenda Preparation, it appears that we will have
significant representation from all levels of government as well as
management personnel from DDOT and SMART ( schedules permitting).  It
appears that tomorrow night's TRU meeting is the place to be for a
conversation about improving Regional Transportation Choices. Let's fill
our meeting space at the Majestic CAfe to overflowing. (Come early or stay
late for dinner, in appreciation of the Zanea's provision of free meeting
space.)
Attachment is the same agenda as printed below ( only prettier

AGENDA
January 18, 2000
7:00 pm
Majestic Café
Woodward Ave, Between Alexandrine and Willis

1. Approve Agenda
2. Introductions -  intorduce, self and affiliation. Be prepared to share
one short-term and one long term goal/vision for more balanced Regional
Transportation choices. Government and Agency reps will be asked to respond
on how we can support their efforts.
3. Governmental and Transit Agency Reps
a. Derrick Miller, Rep Kilpatrick's office
b. Deanna Scallen, Rep. Conyer's Office
c. David Rich, Sen. Levin's Office
d. Sen. Joe Young, ranking minority member on Public Act 51 Study Committee
e. State Rep. Andrew Richner
f. Dan Dirks, SMART (will attend if can resolve schedule conflict)
g. Al Martin, DDOT Rep.
h. Liscious Williams, Detroit City Council President, Gil Hill's office
i. Damon Harvey, Councilman Nicholas Hood's office
3. ISSUES:
a. Status of MDOT's proposal to ACT 51 committee to alter urban transit
Funding formula to 30% base and 70% performance efficiency.  This change
will likely reduce state operating funds to both SMART and DDOT.
b. Support for SMART's Bus shelter efforts, see attached article from
1.10.00 FREE Press http://www.freep.com/news/metro/bus10_20000110.htm
c. Enrolling Seniors to lobby for better transit- enlightened self interest
http://www.freep.com/news/metro/senior8_20000108.htm
d. Detroit Regional Chamber's Priorities for 2000:
"Support establishment of a seamless, coordinated regional transit system
in Southeast Michigan, and proposed study projects designed to improve the
level and quality of existing transit services available in the region."
How do we work in partnership with the Detroit Regional Chamber?
e. Opening a dialogue with NCCJ, The National Conference for Community and
Justice - Addressing Racism as a barrier to transit funding and regional
cooperation - Possible role with Christian, Islamic & Jewish Trialogue.
f. Review Statement of History & Purpose - Do we need to add items?

4. Activities Report
1. Report on SEMCOG's Executive Committee. Dec. 10, 1999 meeting  This
group rubber stamped the the TIP approved by the Transportation Advisory
Committee [TAC],on Dec. 1, 1999.
2. Update on TRU's efforts to secure a seat on SEMCOG's TAC.
3. DDOT's Woodward Corridor Study  - Update on Steering Committee Meeting
held Dec. 15.
4. TRU's new webpage at www.marp.org/tru.htm  Thanks to John DeLora of MARP
5. Update Cadillac Square Bus Terminal Campaign/ CDC role in Campus Martius.
6. Photo Project Report - Dan Kiefer
7. Update on MDOT's Road building efforts, 1-375, I-75 Oakland County, I-73,
 I-94 update by Positively Fourth Street, William Ebersgerger
8. Distribution of Transit related Press clips
5. NEW BUSINESS
6. Meeting Dates - Get your calendars out.
1. Citizens United For Better Service - Jan 20, 2000 4:30??? DDOT's office,
Third Thursday of the Month
2. I-73 Feasibility Study Proposed new terrain Interstate between Jackson,
MI and Toledo, OH Public Meetings:
Jan. 25-Tuesday 3:00pm. Tecumseh Community Center Main Room, Room 703, East
Chicago Blvd., Tecumseh
Jan. 25-Tuesday 7:00pm. Student Center, Baker College of Jackson, 2800
Springport Road, Jackson
Jan. 26-Wednesday 12 noon, St. Mary's Conference Center Recital Hall, 502
W. Elm, Monroe,.
3. I-75 Corridor Study - Discussion of 8 alternatives to meet Oakland
County I-75 Corridor Capacity Needs
Jan. 26-Wednesday 3:30 pm, Independence Township Public Library Meeting
room , 6495 Clarkston Rd.
Jan. 26-Wednesday 7 pm, at Hazel Park Community Center	620 W. Woodward Heights
Jan. 27-Wednesday 9:00am at Palace, (Palace Club Room) of Auburn Hills
@1-75 and Lapeer Road (M-24)
4. SEMCOG's TAC, January 26, 9:30 am 19th Floor, Edison Plaza
5. League of Women Voters of Grosse Pointe, TEA-21 and Act 51 updates. Jan.
27, Noon, see Karen for location in Grosse Pointe Park.
6. MOSES Transportation Committee Meeting, Next Scheduled meeting is
January 27, 2000, gathering  & refreshments, 6:30 pm Meeting at 7 pm.
MOSES OFFICE, (adjacent to Gate of Heaven) 9520 Mettetal, Detroit.
Questions?? Call  313.838.3190
7. DWEJ is planning something in February- Details to follow
8. Michigan Land Use Institute Issue Training and Lobby Day. Feb 22&23 in
Lansing.  Call Conan Smith 517.487.9539 for details
9. Woodward Corridor Transit Authority Stakeholder Meeting March 1, 2000,
1;30 pm First Congregational Church Forest & Woodward
10. ELPC road Kill training and Midwest Transportation Conference. March
2&3. Chicago TRU will be represented. The Road Kill meeting is full.

Thanks to our volunteers, especially Sharon Newton for doing the January
Mailing, John DeLora for the WebPage, and Dan Keifer for work on the Photo
Shoot, and the Majestic Cafe for Hosting.
Karen D. Kendrick-Hands
Air Policy Director,
East Michigan Environmental Action Council
Co-founder, Transportation Riders United
1067 Devonshire Road
GRosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
313.885.7588, fax 313.885.7883
kdkhands@voyager.net

If you don't ask the right questions, you will never get to the right
answers . . .