E-M:/ Speakers Series/Cadidates

Enviro-Mich message from "Molly Cole" <molly.cole@wmich.edu>

WMU Environmental Studies Candidate Lynne Heasley will be giving a
public presentation titled "A Thousand Pieces of Paradise: An
Ecological History of Property in Southwestern Wisconsin". The
presentation starts shortly after 5:00 p.m. in room 213 of the
Bernhard Center on Western's Campus. Punch and excellent cookies
will be served. There will be evaluation form for ENVS students to
fill out on each of the candidates.

Dr. Heasley's talk will be the first in a series of talks
addressing different aspects of sustainability.
Abstract:
Asserting that nature has become so entwined with property that
our
landscapes do not contain one without the other might sound like
too
bold a claim.  And yet, as we enter the twenty-first century, it is
hard to
think of occasions in this country when people act in nature
without first
filtering their actions through a prism of property.  One
consequence is
a bitter and continuous national debate over property rights and
the
environment.  We could even call this debate one of our most
dominant
environmental narratives. What's missing in this particular
narrative,
however, is the land itself--any piece of land--which will always
have a
much more complex story to tell than ideological divisions allow
for. In
this talk I will blend the approaches of environmental history,
geography, and ecology to relate three narratives of nature and
property in the
Kickapoo Valley.  While the narratives have profound implications
for
the sustainability of rural America, they are not an end in
themselves.
Instead they serve as a starting point in this larger lecture
series for
exploring the challenges of achieving sustainable ecosystems and
sustainable communities.

Other talks scheduled include:
Monday, January 24, 5:00 p.m. - "Cookie-Cutter Conservation?:  The
Difficulties of Transplanting U.S. Models for Sustainable Nature
Conservation to India" by candidate Michael Lewiss in the Brown and
Gold Room of the Bernhard Center
Wednesday, Jan. 26, 5:00 p.m. - Environmental Conflicts and
Cultural Perceptions: Getting Benearth the Words" in room 211 of the
Bernhard Center by candidate Adrian Ivakhiv
Date and place still pending - "Many Meanings of Sustainability" by
WMU Environmental Studies Faculty, Dr. Harold Glasser

All talks are free and open to the public. ENVS students are highly
encouraged to attend.

Molly Cole

Program Coordinator
Environmental Studies