E-M:/ Press Conference on Environmental Justice

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:02:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Deana Talal Rabiah <drabiah@umich.edu>
To: ej@umich.edu
Subject: PRESS CONFERENCE IN DETROIT TOMORROW 1/19/00-HFH INCINERATOR

In honor of the observance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday...
LOCAL GROUPS JOIN IN ISSUING A DECLARATION:
NATIONAL STATE OF EMERGENCY ON ENVIRONMENTAL RACISM
AND ECONOMIC JUSTICE
PRESS CONFERENCE
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 19, 2000
10:00 a.m.
Sweet Home Baptist Church
2764 W. Grand Blvd., Detroit, MI

Yesterday, in Washington DC, civil rights leaders, health and economic
experts, and representatives from affected communities around the country
will hold a press conference declaring a "national state of emergency on
environmental racism and economic injustice."
On Wednesday, January 19, at a press conference in Detroit, Black
environmental justice activists will join with activists launching the
national campaign, to draw attention to local environmental injustices.
Local leaders will be joined by Damu Smith, of Greenpeace USA, one of the
organizers in a Louisiana community's successful struggle to prevent the
siting of a hazardous facility by Shintech Corporation. "We are declaring
a state of emergency -- environmental racism has resulted in economic
deprivation, and compromises the very survival of the Black Community,"
commented Smith, who is also a member of the National Black Environmental
and Economic Justice Coordinating Committee.
"Environmental racism is real. In neighborhoods across Detroit and around
the nation, it is destroying the health of our people," said Donele
Wilkins, Executive Director of Detroiters Working for Environmental
Justice, and a member of the Interim National Black Environmental and
Economic Justice Coordinating Committee. "On the anniversary of Dr. Martin
Luther King, Jr,s birth, we are joining together to kick off a process of
mobilizing and educating the community to this critical issue of
survival."
As an example of environmental racism in Detroit, Wilkins cited the
incinerator at Henry Ford Hospital, located in a predominantly Black
neighborhood with high rates of asthma.
Residents in the surrounding neighborhood worry about the health impacts
of incineration, and say it is also a question of environmental injustice.
"Why does Henry Ford continue to incinerate its medical waste in a Black
neighborhood in Detroit, but not in its suburban hospitals?" asked James
Williams, who lives near the incinerator. Henry Ford Health Systems does
not use incineration at its Cottage Hospital or Wyandotte facilities.
"Henry Ford Hospital is a health care provider. They should not be
polluting the air and causing health problems for people in the
neighborhoods, especially seniors and children," said Wayne County
Commissioner Jewel Ware.
The Wayne County Commission recently passed a resolution urging Henry Ford
to stop incinerating all but a small percent of its waste.
"We need to call attention to this as a human rights violation," said
Charles Simmons, a community activist in Detroit and professor at Eastern
Michigan University. "The U.S. seeks to punish those who violate human
rights around the world, and it needs to do the same right here in
Detroit."
Environmental justice requires equal protection under the law, but also
greater community participation in economic development decision-making
say advocates for environmental justice. "In order to build and sustain
healthy, productive Black communities, environmental justice, economic
development and civil rights enforcement must go hand in hand," noted
Quita Sullivan of the NLG/Sugar Law Center for Economic and Social
Justice.

For more information about the National State of Emergency on
Environmental Racism and Economic Injustice, contact:
Interim National Black Environmental & Economic Justice
Coordinating Committee
Telephone: 202-265-3263
Fax: 202-234-0981

***We are the reason our ancestors existed.***
**Let our children's children be the reason we act.**

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)