Re: E-M:/ Humbug safe(?) NO!

Enviro-Mich message from Smileysmlc@aol.com

Hold on a minute.  HUMBUG MARSH IS NOT SAFE!!

I was afraid that some people might read too much into the court ruling.
Yes, it is a small victory--but the easement is on such a small sliver of
property that it won't impede development.  (The acreage quoted is mostly
open waters of the Detroit River between the mainland and the island).  For
the most part, the easement only limits development on a 60-foot deep stretch
of property along the shoreline.  It is one of the most poorly constructed
"conservation easements" which I have ever read.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Humbug Marsh is not yet safe.

Jack Smiley
Detroit Audubon Society/
Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy