Re: E-M:/ Humbug Marsh

Enviro-Mich message from Smileysmlc@aol.com

I do not wish to have a continuing dialogue, at this time, about Humbug
Marsh, but I feel that I need to respond to a couple comments from the last
posting.

Quote:  "The viability (read big bucks) of any project there rests with the
development of the island itself."

    Although it is true that development of the island is attractive from the
developer's standpoint, I think it would be faulty to assume that if they
can't get the island (meaning the Army Corps upholds their denial) that the
developers will magically go away.  There still remains significant acreage
which could be developed, and which would negatively impact the marsh
ecosystem.

Quote:  "The rest of the property is just regular industrial neighborhood
land."

    I would NOT characterize the property as such.  It is not "pristine", but
it does provide significant habitat and it IS in a tremendous location--both
for the protection of ecological resources and for limited recreational use.
In this day and age, it is important for us to not only protect lands with
high quality natural habitats...but it is just as important to protect land
which holds the potential for restoration.  Remember, much of northern
Michigan was a wasteland after the lumber barons got through with it.  We
have to consider long-term resource protection issues.

Jack Smiley