E-M:/ Funding transit with auto lease taxes in Free Press; I-75 and I-73 studies public meetings; SEMCOG TAC & Moses Tranportation Meetings; New link on TRU webpage;

Enviro-Mich message from "Karen D. Kendrick-Hands" <kdkhands@voyager.net>

1. Jan. 24, 2000 - What an amazing juxtaposition of stories in today's Free
Press local section.
A great explanation of a legislative loophole divert tax proceeds from auto
leases away from Transit and into the General Fund.  Congrats to Republican
Rep Judith Scranton of Brighton for sponsoring legislation to send that
money to aid transit.. http://www.freep.com/news/metro/bus24_20000124.htm.
TRU's co-founder is quoted in this lead story in the local section

And the anguish of the transit-deprived, who must pay top dollar for
unreliable leased "junkers" with electronic strings attached
It's too bad that there are so few choices for mobility.  See:
http://www.freep.com/business/farr24_20000124.htm

2. The Corradino Group is back in town for Public Meetings.  Regional
Commuter Rail could and should be on the list, but is it???? Times and Places:

I-73 Feasibility Study Proposed new terrain Interstate between Jackson, MI
and Toledo, OH Public Meetings:
	Jan. 25-Tuesday 3:00pm. Tecumseh Community Center Main	Room, Room 703,
East 		Chicago Blvd., Tecumseh
	Jan. 25-Tuesday 7:00pm. Student Center, Baker College of Jackson, 2800
Springport Road, Jackson
	Jan. 26-Wednesday 12 noon, St. Mary's Conference Center Recital Hall,
502 W. Elm, Monroe,.
I-75 Corridor Study - Discussion of 8 alternatives to meet Oakland County
I-75 Corridor Capacity Needs
	Jan. 26-Wednesday 3:30 pm, Independence Township Public Library Meeting
room 		6495 Clarkston Rd.
	Jan. 26-Wednesday 7 pm, at Hazel Park Community Center	620	W. Woodward
Heights
	Jan. 27-Wednesday 9:00am at Palace, (Palace Club Room) of Auburn Hills
@1-75 		and Lapeer Road (M-24)

OTHER MEETINGS THIS WEEK (WHEW!!!) & beyond . . .
SEMCOG's TAC, January 26, 9:30 am 19th Floor, Edison Plaza

League of Women Voters of Grosse Pointe, TEA-21 and Act 51 updates. Jan.
27, Noon, call or email Karen Kendrick-Hands for location in Grosse Pointe
Park.

MOSES Transportation Committee Meeting, Next Scheduled meeting is January
27, 2000, gathering  & refreshments, 6:30 pm Meeting at 7 pm. MOSES OFFICE,
(adjacent to Gate of Heaven) 9520 Mettetal, Detroit. Questions?? Call
313.838.3190

Michigan Land Use Institute Issue Training and Lobby Day. Feb 22&23 in
Lansing. Call Conan Smith 517.487.9539 for details

TRU Tuesday Feb 29 7:00 Place to be announced (Leap Day)

Woodward Corridor Transit Authority Stakeholder Meeting March 1, 2000, 1;30
pm First Congregational Church Forest & Woodward.

4. Check out the website:  http://www.marp.org/tru.htm
 WE have added a link between TRU and MoTranzit, a newly discovered site
that focuses on Metro Detroit Transit.  Good stuff, and you can post
comments. You can get there directly too -
http://hometown.aol.com/motranzit/index.html.

5. And last but not least . . . .
TRU is planning to distribute informational leaflets to all baseball fans
on Comerica Park's Opening Day:  "We've got a world class ball park;
shouldn't we have a world class way to get there ? ? ? ? ?" Save April 11.
We need both creative content ideas in advance and lots of bodies on the
big day.  E-mail Karen if you're interested and I'll start an e-signup list!

Karen D. Kendrick-Hands
Air Policy Director,
East Michigan Environmental Action Council
Co-founder, Transportation Riders United
1067 Devonshire Road
GRosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
313.885.7588, fax 313.885.7883
kdkhands@voyager.net

If you don't ask the right questions, you will never get to the right
answers . . .