E-M:/ Sierra Club Serves Toxic Fish to Demonstrate Great Lakes Pol

     This "Toxic Buffet" hits home here in Michigan in particular as we
     have more coastline on the Great Lakes than any other state, and
     border 4 of the 5 Great Lakes.  AW

     FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE      CONTACT:
     January 31, 2000           Jon Schneider, (202) 675-2383
                                Eric Uram, (888) 920-9844 pgr

     Sierra Club Serves Toxic Fish to Demonstrate Great Lakes Pollution
     Says Great Lakes is "Still Toxic After All These Years"

     Washington, DC-- The Sierra Club today held a toxic fish buffet to
     urge for effective clean-up plans for the Great Lakes.  Ten years
     after the Sierra Club's last toxic buffet, little has changed. Toxic
     hot spots around the Great Lakes still contain enough pollution to
     render most local fish too dangerous to eat.

     "It is a tragedy that the Great Lakes are still toxic after all these
     years," said Emily Green, Director of the Sierra Club's Great Lakes
     Program, while standing behind appetizing yet toxic plates of poached,
     smoked, and fillets of yellow perch, walleye, and rock bass. "But even
     worse is the fact that our children's health is at risk simply from
     eating these dishes for dinner."

     Beside each of the five plates of fish - one fish from each of the Great
     Lakes - was a list of toxic chemicals that are commonly found in fish
     caught in the Lakes. Dangerous amounts of mercury, PCB's and other toxic
     contaminants still pour silently into the lakes from nearby industries
     and abandoned dumping spots. Fish that swim in this toxic soup are now
     contaminated, and pose a particularly insidious threat to the health of
     pregnant women, children and subsistence fishermen.

     Cancer risks from these contaminants are 4,500 times above EPA's
     minimum "acceptable" level for some populations. Fish consumption
     advisories have been posted around all of the lakes, and the toxins
     are causing developmental problems and learning disabilities in
     children.

     "We are pleased to see the Clinton Administration addressing this
     problem, but we still have a long way to go to protect our children's
     health," Green stated, referring to a multi-million dollar plan that
     the Environmental Protection Agency is negotiating. She then proceeded
     to lay out a plan put together by a coalition of groups including the
     Sierra Club and Great Lakes United that would focus on a complete
     clean-up of one or two key sites first.

     "This plan will allow us to develop the expertise to clean up these
     toxic hot spots completely. A model can then be made for other Great
     Lakes communities to follow so that their children can safely swim in
     the lakes, drink the water, and eat their favorite fish dinner," said
     Green.

     Also speaking at the event were Dr. Theo Colburn, author of Our Stolen
     Future, Margaret Wooster of Great Lakes United, and Charlotte Caldwell
     of the Great Lakes Indigenous Environmental Network who related how
     her community was forced to change its way of life due to the
     pollution. Dr. Colburn described a few key scientific studies that
     show the harmful effects this pollution has to the Great Lakes
     population, including one that showed how children born to mothers who
     eat Great Lakes fish are as much as two years behind in reading and
     math.

     "It's time to end the delay, and clean up the Great Lakes today,"
     concluded Green.

     #  #  #