E-M:/ Wilderness fighter Vento to retire

 Normally I wouldn't write about a Congressional Rep. from another state
 who plans to step down, but any Michigander who cares about the national
 parks and wilderness of our state has Congressman Bruce Vento of Minnesota
 at least in part to thank for their existence.  Congressman Vento has
 announced he will not run again because he has been diagnosed with
 malignant mesothelioma, which is caused by exposure to asbestos, a tragic
 irony for such a profoundly influential advocate for this country's
 environment.  His prospects for recovery are good, but he will need to
 pursue an agressive course of treatment, and that thus becomes a priority
 over running again.

 Vento has served in the Congress for 24 years, and much of his effort has
 been spent working to protect wild places all over the country. On the
 House Subcommittee on Parks, Forests and Public Lands, which he chaired
 for 10 years, he was a critical leader in the fight to pass the Michigan
 Wilderness Heritage Act, passing it out of his committee and helping it
 through the House a couple of times before it finally passed the Senate
 and became law in 1987.  Vento also held firm in those days of the Reagan
 Administration against the assaults on public lands of all sorts, and
 helped retain the astonishing legacy we have in the country of natural
 resources.

 While this is also out of the norm, I would strongly suggest that anyone
 who has spent time in a Michigan National Forest Wilderness, or in the
 Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, or in a National Park or Lakeshore
 in Michigan, to take a moment and send Mr. Vento a thank you card.  His
 address is: The Honorable Bruce Vento, 2314 Rayburn House Office Building,
 Washington, D.C.  20515.  Send it on behalf of future generations who
 would thank him themselves given the chance.

 Anne Woiwode