Re: E-M:/ Snowmobiles Have Taken Over

Enviro-Mich message from tobler <wtobler@tdi.net>

> > On 7 Feb 00, at 13:49, Kelie Caudell wrote:
> > {...} Try skiing on designated ski trails and
> > not
> > boring the rest of us with your concerns.

This subscriber was NOT bored with these disturbing concerns.

As a horse owner for 4+ decades, I can add that the number one reason
that horsebackers no longer use public trails for winter riding is
snowmobiles.  Not only do they spook the calmest of horses, even when
motorcycles and ATVs don't, but their tracks eventually become sheer
ice, making it impossible to negotiate the trails until they thaw.

The disadvantage to the rest of us is the snowmobilers' ability to go
nearly anywhere, leaving no trail, field, or woods safe from their
sudden onslaught of noise, smell, and ruination of virgin snow.

Wendy Tobler