E-M:/ RE: / Snowmobiles have taken over Island Lake Rec. Area

Enviro-Mich message from "Todd Scott" <luckyf@concentric.net>

> Boy - was that ever naive.  All the trails have been completely taken
> over by snowmobilers...
They aren't allowed on the recent asphalt path but I hear some are
using it.  We (MMBA) also had done repair work on a steep hill
this summer at the Park.  It was getting abused from snowmobilers
until one of our members blocked the route with brush piles last
weekend.

I've seen the same abuse at Pontiac Lake with the trails going every
which way, the loud noise, and the smell of gasoline.  It does
not make a pleasant experience for non-motorized users.

The Island Lake trail will narrow during the spring and early summer
when everything starts growing back.  I've spent some hours trimming
the trail only to come back a few weeks later and find things have
grown back.

However, I don't know about saplings that get run over.  :^(

Todd Scott