E-M:/ It's McCAIN on Tuesday

Come Tuesday, I'm going to pull the lever for JOHN McCAIN....  because
I think it is the only real and pragmatic option available for Michigan's
environmental
and conservation activist community.

I think the recent endorsement of McCain by former Governor William
Milliken, who has longstanding deep and abiding respect in Michigan's
environmental community,
probably clinched it for me.

There is much in McCain's record and in his positions in which I do not
agree.   Although he has a low League of Conservation Voters  score,
(see http://www.lcv.org/presidential/mccain.htm     )
his record apparently shows
that he really cared about the environmental and conservation issues in
his own state and did the right thing much of the time on those counts.   That
at least tells me something about the inner man and his connection to
the environment in his own home state.

McCain's banner promotion of campaign finance reform in the McCain-Feingold
bill is one of his biggest selling points to the environmental community.   It
is long past time that the corrosive effect that corporate soft money  is
having
be ended.   Many of our longstanding environmental problems, and many other
societal problems for that matter, may not be solved until we have the kind of
political reform that campaign finance reform will bring.   McCain's voice
on this has been the longest and most consistent in the Congress.

I also find McCain's candor and honesty refreshing.   His public demeanor
does not seem to be a phony  stage-managed creation of campaign
consultants.   His
manner this way reminds me of Barry Goldwater (someone who I learned to
respect well after the fact of his prominence in American politics).

McCain's recent commitment to eschew negative television advertising also
impresses me.   I think that such negative ads turn millions off to voting
participation
in politics and our democracy.

Michigan environmentalists and conservationists do have a strong interest in
seeing that George W. Bush NOT be elected president.    Bush's brief reign
in Texas shows that he gives the industrial polluters a free reign down there.
Bush's hallmark is to make environmental/public health protection an
optional, voluntary
matter....much like the Engler-Harding philosophy.   There have even been
rumors that Russell Harding, Michigan DEQ chief, is in line to be appointed
as head of the EPA should Bush win the presidency.    Harding would be,
no doubt, much worse in that position than even Ann Gorsuch was during the
Reagan Administration.

The latest from the Bush Administration in Texas is that he wants to
construct privately held
luxury hotels in Texas state parks (see below).    This is the way the guy
thinks --- anything that big business, developers and right wing foundations
want him to do --- just like John Engler.   For more on the Bush record in
Texas, see:

http://www.txpeer.org/bush/index.html

and

http://www.lcv.org/presidential/bush.htm

and

the press release section at
http://www.sierraclub.org/chapters/tx/

Texas PEER release on Bush's plans for Texas state parks.....