Re: E-M:/ RE: / HSUS Scorecards

At 04:56 PM 02/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from Jeff Irwin <lcvefmi@worldnet.att.net>

>50% on issues of animal protection, I would like to refer E-M subscribers
>to Abraham's pitiful LCV Score of 0 (see
>http://scorecard.lcv.org/member.cfm?id=3519).  There can be no doubt about
>Senator Abraham's consistant ignorance of our environment.

I'm sorry, Jeff, but I don't buy the notion that Senator Abraham's problem
when it comes to his utterly abysmal environmental record can be
ascribed to "ignorance."

Quite frankly, I think that Abraham is probably a very smart man who is,
like Engler, totally out of touch with Michigan's heritage and tradition
of environmental protection, conservation and volunteer participation in
the protection and management of our natural resources.

In fact, I'd say that Abraham is also out of touch with the environmental
conservation traditions of the Republican party from people like
Teddy Roosevelt, John Chaffee and Bill Milliken.

To say that Abraham is ignorant on the environment would be to
excuse Abraham from his wholesale anti-environmental leadership
position.   After all, we're talking about the guy who is a founding member
of the "Federalist Society"....that group that wants to destroy federal
environmental protection regulation so states can have a race to the
bottom when it comes to environmental standards and enforcement.....
the same group whose judicial members take corporation-paid
junkets to resorts for anti-environmental  regulation indoctrination.....

And let's not forget Abraham's sell job in the recent environmental
bond, which was more about taking public money for tearing down
buildings and doing site preparation for new industry
and rescuing land developers and industry from these costs at public
expense than for
real protection of the environment......especially after the
Engler-led  effort to eviscerate Michigan's polluter-pay law and
current and past efforts to relax environmental remediation guidelines
under the banner of "brownfields redevelopment".....

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)