E-M:/ Michigan Sen. Bill 955

Enviro-Mich message from Kristina Riggle <kmriggle@yahoo.com>

I'm a journalist with the Bay City Times.

I'm wondering if any enviro-michers are familiar with
Sen. Ken Sikkema's (R-Grandville) bill that would
reportedly require ballast water from outside Michigan
waters to be sterlizied before a ship can enter the
Great Lakes.

It would also prohibit ships from discharging their
ballast into the Great Lakes without a DEQ permit and
require the DEQ to establish an inspection program.

Five hearings are being held around the state on this.
I'm interested in your thoughts are on the subject --
if it's good, bad, feasible or not.

You may reply directly to me at kmriggle@yahoo.com if
you care to.

Thank you.