Re: E-M:/ Information on dock removal

Enviro-Mich message from "Gary Marx" <MARXGF@state.mi.us>

Just FYI, a permit is required from the Land & Water Management Division of the DEQ for installation of permanent docks, as well as seawalls, beach sanding, or any other construction, dredging or filling below the ordinary high water mark of inland lakes or streams, pursuant to Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams of the Michigan Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act.

>>> "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org> 02/25 5:04 PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>

We have an ordinance requiring dock removal during the winter months.  We have one lake in our Township with a very "murky" bottom.  The bottom is so bad that residents say they sink in it up to their waists.  They would like an amendment to the ordinance to allow permanent docks.  The lake is small enough that it doesn't have the problems with ice ruining the docks that our larger lakes have.

My question is this.  Does anyone know which is better for acquatic life in the lake and the waters downstream?  (The lake is the headwaters for a stream.)  Is it better to have a permanent dock with secure footings, or to install and remove a dock each year?  Every time they work in the lake, they're disturbing the area quite a bit.  Please let me know if you have any expertise in this area.
Bonnie Shupe, Cannon Township, Kent County