E-M:/ DEQ Public Forum at Lake Michigan College

The following article appeared in the Herald-Palladium, Friday, March 3, 2000.  I encourage attendance by anyone in southwestern Michigan.  It should be most interesting to see how some of issues are fielded.  Lake Michigan College is located at 2755 East Napier (south of I94 exit 30).  Though the newspaper does not mention location.  The greater probability is that it will be in the Mendel Center, in Upton Hall.

Top officials of the state Department of Environmental Quality will hold a public meeting March 20 at Lake Michigan College.  DEQ Director Russell Harding and his staff will share information and hear comments on environmental matters.  The session is one of many being held around the state.

The forum is divided into two parts.  From 4 to 6 PM the DEQ decision makers will be available for informal discussions with the public.  From 6 to 7 PM the officials will conduct a formal meeting where residents can ask questions or offer comments to the entire DEQ management team.

Harding said citizens must be active and informed in order to successfully address environmental challenges.

"We found that many of our greatest achievements come about when the public and private sectors join forces," Harding said.  "Government does not have all of the answers."

The DEQ holds informational forums and pubic {that's what the Herald-Palladium printed} hearings on specific issues around the state, and publishes a calendar of pending permit decisions, public meetings, hearings and DEQ staff contacts.