FW: E-M:/ Snowmobiles and ORV's

Enviro-Mich message from Terry Link <link@MAIL.LIB.MSU.EDU>

Whereas the idea of using "better" machines, read "less polluting when
operated", seems like a good idea. Don't forget that an awful lot of energy
is consumed and pollution generated by the manufacturing process of the
machine upstream. Simply trading it in, unless the bulk of the machine can
be reused, is potentially creating more pollution then stretching the life
of the poorer operating machine. I think this is particularly true of
automobile manufacturing, where the natural resources are mined from various
places around the globe, transported, heated to incredible temperatures in
the manufacturing process, producing not simply greenhouse gases, but also a
slew of toxics.

Do I have the answer. NO. But cutting down the need to use the machines
seems like the safest most efficient mode.

Two cents from the left-field bleachers...

Terry Link, Librarian
Chair University Committee for a Sustainable Campus
Adjunct Faculty, Bailey Scholars Program
Main Library
100 Library Lane
MSU
East Lansing, MI 48824
1-517-355-1751
link@mail.lib.msu.edu <mailto:link@mail.lib.msu.edu>

True charity is not a measure of how much one gives, but rather how much one
has left..........Anonymous

Be the change you want to see in life...............M. Gandhi