Re: E-M:/ Snowmobiles and ORV's

Enviro-Mich message from James Clift <jamesmec@voyager.net>

Speaking on behalf of the Michigan Environmental Council, you may expect our continued opposition MDEQ's proposal to use $1.5 million of the Clean Michigan Initiative pollution prevention money to fund replacement of lawnmowers.  It is our position that the program designed by the department would not have resulted in meaningful reductions and did not
justify use of bond money.  I note that members of both the House and Senate subcommittees on the MDEQ budget agreed with our position and removed it from the budget.

As designed, we believe the department's program would have only been available to between 3750 and 5000 participants, 1800 (between 36% and 48%) were going to replace with electric motors anyway.  The remainder would be replaced with the more efficient two or four stroke models currently being sold.

In its place, MEC has advocated for an Energy Bank to make zero-interest loans available for energy efficiency programs as recommended by the governor' Pollution Prevention Task Force.  We think this would have resulted in greater emission reductions at less cost.  The MDEQ opposed this use of the money.

James Clift, Policy Director
Michigan Environmental Council
www.mienv.org