Re: E-M:/ Lake levels/wells

Enviro-Mich message from Michelle Gesmundo <gesmundm@msue.msu.edu>

At 04:30 PM 03/27/2000 -0500, Bonnie Shupe wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>
>
>In the last week, two lake association presidents have visited my office
inquiring about raising their lake levels by putting in a well.  The lakes
are getting so shallow that boats are hitting bottom.  One of the lakes is
man-made and already has two wells.  They plan on adding a third.  The
other is a natural, spring-fed lake, but is going down more every year.

>Do any of you know anything about what affects these wells can have on the
acquifer?  In these kind of drought years we're having, is there any danger
of homeowners' wells going dry because of these large lake wells?  Are
there any other environmental hazards that can occur?