Re: E-M:/ Lake levels/wells

Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>

I have received many responses that came to me personally.  I can try to send them to you if you and anyone else if you would like to see them.  Please let me know asap.
Bonnie

>>> Kristine Yvette Olsson <olssonk@umich.edu> 03/28/00 04:57PM >>>
We are also getting some calls asking about low lake and river levels.  We
are going to be writing and article on it, actually, for our next
newsletter.  We would like to address why levels are low (cyclic droughts?
Global warming? Development paving over groundwater recharge areas) and
what, if anything people should or should not do about it.

So, I would also like to know any answers people might have for Bonnie,
and would also be happy to forward anything we find out...
Kris Olsson
Huron River Watershed Council

Regarding your question:  My initial thought is that, since the lakes are
probably mostly
groundwater fed, pumping groundwater into them won't really help.  Unless
the wells are tapping a deeper aquifer.  I'm not sure about the affect
that might have on surrounding residential wells.  It would probably take
alot of pumping to deplete the aquifer, but it would totally depend on the
specific size of that aquifer.  In Michigan, we haven't really mapped or
delineated our aquifers.