E-M:/ Timber harvest mandate issues

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:06:31 -0800
To: <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Subject: Hearing on DNR Budget/Timber Mandate MAY BE DROPPED

Enviro-Mich:

I was unable to attend the Senate Natural Resources Subcommittee of
the Appropriations Committee yesterday, but understand that there was
little testimony given, and the committee may even cancel next week's
hearing. Since the notice sent out includes hearings listed for
several days, there may well be people who have scheduled time to
testify at a later hearing.

IF YOU INTENDED TO TESTIFY AT ONE OF THE LATER HEARINGS OF THE
SUBCOMMITTEE ON ANY TOPIC, INCLUDING THE TIMBER MANDATE, YOU SHOULD
IMMEDIATELY CALL SENATOR MCMANUS'S OFFICE AND ASSURE THAT THEY KNOW
YOU HAD PLANNED TO TESTIFY. Phone number is 517-373-1725.

I am aware that there has been growing interest around the state about
the timber mandate, and hear that there was a protest in Traverse City
yesterday about it. I would certainly hope that those who are just
learning about this mandate will not be shut out of their chance to
testify because they aren't Lansing insiders who spend their days in
the capitol and can show up to lobby or testify at the drop of a hat!

Anne