E-M:/ Fwd: Novi Wetland Emergency

Enviro-Mich message from Smileysmlc@aol.com

I am forwarding the following message which I received.
*****************************

From:   ohlgren@wwnet.net (Ohlgren Family)

I am in need of information regarding wetlands conservation for mitigated
wetlands using federal $.

Currently Novi, MI (Detroit Metro Area) is in the process of acquiring 130+
acres of Michigan DOT mitigated wetland (w/federal funding) for the purpose
of converting the acreage into multi-purpose use. Original intent for this
wetland was to provide a habitat for wildlife. Period. The City of Novi has
the opportunity to acquire this property for the sum of $1. This land is
previously condemned private land. One proposed use is: converting high
acreage for sale to a developer and lower acreage into a park which may or
may not include paved parking, observation tower, board walks, bike trails,
rest rooms, etc... Other proposed uses by the City of Novi have been passive
park and straight wetland use, this land was mitigated for natural wetlands
destroyed by the M-5 Connector (M-5, I-696, I-96, I-275 interchange) project.

I would like to know what options the city can impose on this property and
what it would take to lock this property into wetland status forever.
Unfortunately Novi is holding a public hearing April 17th , 2000, I received
notice of this hearing by mail March 29, 2000. Time is of essence. Any
information that you or your organization can forward to me prior to this
date will be appreciated.

Kurt Ohlgren

21666 Garfield Rd

Northville Mi 48167