E-M:/ [MichiganForests] Traverse City group begins action against

This information excerpted is from a message is from last Wednesday, March 29th:

From: EARTHA MELZER <at608@tcnet.org>

Yesterday afternoon as the Senate DNR Appropriations Subcommittee met in
Lansing to discuss the Timber Mandate 30 activists in Traverse CIty
demonstrated in front of rush hour traffic.

We made and displayed posters and banners with slogans, the largest
banners read, "Forests Forever", "Stop the Timber Mandate" and "NO trees,
No Tourism". The wind was bitterly cold but we served chili and chai to
all participants and spirits were high. Community response was excellent
with lots of supportive honking and thumbs up signs.

Our demonstration was located across from the Traverse CIty Visitor's
Center and the Chamber of Commerce and directly in front of the offices
of the National Cherry Festival. The Cherry Festival and associated
tourism is a major source of income for businesses in this area. At one
point during our demonstration, workers from the Cherry Festival office
addressed members of our group with concerns that our presence might
compromise the image of their office. When we explained how the loss of
Michigan forests would compromise our local economy and way of life all
parties agreed that our concerns were legitimate and we were not asked
to leave.

Eartha Melzer