E-M:/ SPECIAL NRC MEETING IN MARQUETTE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 11 APR 00
CONTACT: Teresa Gloden, 517-373-2352

SPECIAL NRC MEETING IN MARQUETTE
TO FOCUS ON DEER MANAGEMENT ISSUES

LANSING--The Michigan Natural Resources Commission will host
a special meeting in Marquette, May 4, to gather public
comment on deer management and other wildlife issues in
Michigan, especially those of concern to residents of the
Upper Peninsula.
NRC Chairman Keith Charters will host the meeting, scheduled
for 7 p.m., Thursday, May 4, in the Explorer Rooms, Don H.
Bottom University Center, on the campus of Northern Michigan
University. DNR Director K.L. Cool, U.P. Field Deputy Jim
Ekdahl and DNR wildlife managers also will participate in
the annual meeting, which the NRC has scheduled in the U.P.
for the past several years.
A wide range of deer management-related topics are expected
to be raised by the public at this meeting, including buck
harvest restrictions, antlerless quotas, licensing, deer
baiting and feeding and bovine TB regulations. In addition,
comment also is welcome regarding other hunting regulations.
"I feel strongly that the NRC make the effort to hear from
the citizens of the Upper Peninsula on these issues which
are so important to everyone, especially in the northern
areas of our state," said Charters. "I encourage everyone
who has something to say about deer management to attend
this meeting and tell us how we all can work together to
ensure this important species is properly managed for all
people in the state. Public participation is an integral
component of the decision-making process."
Individuals who wish to discuss their ideas or voice their
opinions may register at the meeting to speak for up to
three minutes. Written comments also may be submitted at the
meeting, or mailed to Teresa Gloden, NRC Assistant,
Department of Natural Resources, Box 30028, Lansing, MI
48909.
"Because it can be difficult for people from the Upper
Peninsula to travel to some of our NRC meetings, we enjoy
the opportunity to bring the NRC to the people of the north
country," Charters said. "These public meetings have been
well attended, and many of the changes we've made in recent
years in the way we manage deer represent a consensus of
comments and suggestions raised at those meetings."
Upper Peninsula residents also have two additional
opportunities to express their views on deer management at
upcoming meetings in Newberry, April 25, and Crystal Falls,
April 26. These meetings are being sponsored by the Michigan
United Conservation Clubs and Michigan State University
Extension.
Additionally, the NRC will host its traditional annual U.P.
meeting, August 17 and 18, in Escanaba, to coincide with the
grand opening of the DNR's Pocket Park at the U.P. State
Fairgrounds.
For more information, contact Ann Wilson, Upper Peninsula
Communications Representative, at 906-228-6561.

To remove your name from this e-mail list, send an e-mail
message from your own e-mail address to
listserv@listserv.cnoc.state.mi.us with this in the body of
your message:
     signoff dnrwire
To get back on the list, send an e-mail message from your
own e-mail address to listserv@cnoc.state.mi.us
with this in the body of your message:
     subscribe dnrwire your name   (Use an alias, if you
prefer.)
There's also an electronic form on the DNR home page at
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/dept/listsubs.htm