E-M:/ new site: pollutioncalculator.org

FYI-- AW

Subject: new site: pollutioncalculator.org
Author:  Deborah Anderson <DJAnderson@ELPC.org> at Internet
Date:    4/20/00 3:23 PM

Dear Sierra colleagues:

This is Deb Anderson Andraca from the Environmental Law and Policy Center of
the Midwest (http://www.elpc.org).  I wanted to let you know about a new web
site we have created to help you in your advocacy work, and to ask for your
help in spreading the word.

The interactive site, www.pollutioncalculator.org, calculates how much
pollution is in the energy you use every day.  You enter in your monthly
utility bill, pick your utility, and the calculator shows you how much carbon
dioxide, nitrogen oxide, and sulfur dioxide you create, translated into car
trips, trees planted, and other terms people can understand.  We also have
really basic explanations of what these and other pollutants do to our
environment and links for more information.  We hope this will be helpful to
you, especially in your work on electricity deregulation/ environmental
disclosure.

We would appreciate it if you could help us get the word out on this site.
Would you please link to it on your web pages, and if you have a newsletter
would you include an article on pollutioncalculator.org?  I've included text
from our press release below that you can use for the article and edit as
you wish.

Thank you very much.  Your feedback and comments are most welcome, too!

Best wishes,

Deb Andraca
ELPC
daandraca@elpc.org

p.s.: if you're a webmaster and you don't have a link to www.elpc.org, would
you mind adding that one, too?  Thanks.

New Online Calculator Adds Up Your Pollution Contribution

Web Site Reveals How Much Pollution Is In the Electricity You Use Every Day

Sure, you recycle.  Maybe you've even planted a few trees for Earth Day.
But did you know that you dump hundreds of pounds of pollution into the
environment every year just by flipping your light switch?

Your energy bill reveals much more than the price of electricity.  It also
contains a hidden cost - pollution in our environment.  A new web site,
pollutioncalculator.org, will reveal just how much pollution is in the
electricity you use every day, and what you can do about it.

Pollutioncalculator.org, sponsored by the Environmental Law and Policy
Center of the Midwest, enables you to enter how much you pay per month for
electricity, choose your electricity company, and calculate how much
pollution you produce.

For example, for a household with an average bill of $78.99, if your
electric company is Illinois Power, you produce 19,432 pounds of carbon
dioxide each year, the "greenhouse gas" that causes global warming.  You
would have to plant 19,432 trees to make up for that much pollution!  This
same household would also produce 76 pounds of smog-causing nitrogen oxide.
You would have to drive 23,030 miles to produce that much pollution.  That's
almost one trip around the world!

"Pollutioncalculator.org is designed to help people understand where their
electricity comes from, and how much pollution it causes," said Howard
Learner, executive director of the Environmental Law and Policy Center.
"Soon customers will be able to choose their own electricity company, and
many will offer a cleaner alternative.  Pollutioncalculator.org will help
them understand why it's so important that we choose clean energy for our
health and our environment."

For more information, go to www.pollutioncalculator.org
<http://www.pollutioncalculator.org> or call the Environmental Law and
Policy Center, 312-759-3400.  The Environmental Law and Policy Center is a
non-profit environmental advocacy organization based in Chicago.  For more
information on ELPC see http://www.elpc.org or www.midwestenvironment.org
<http://www.midwestenvironment.org>.

Deborah Anderson Andraca
Director of Public Affairs