Re: E-M:/ Corrections to : Saplings/Clearcuts vs. protectedhabitat areas on State Forest

Enviro-Mich message from Tim Flynn <timf@mac.com>

Folks,

I'd like to apologize for not quite getting the numbers right in my first
post.  I was too easy on the DNR, and after thinking about it, I took
another look at the numbers.  In addition, my wife wanted me to make the
acreage figures more real, so here goes.
============

While the number of acres clearcut in the last 40 years may be stunning, I
thought I'd look at what has been done more recently, since the rate has
increased in the 80's and 90's.  Forests cut-over in the last 20 years,
still look like highly disturbed habitat, some times called "dog hair"
aspen.  These are the clearcuts you'd notice in the woods.

In the last 20 years the DNR, according to their database current to the
fall of 1999, has specified for clearcut and/or actually clearcut,
 743,699  acres.

That is an average of  37,185 acres per year.  If they keep going at that
pace they could clearcut all available State Forest timberland in 67 years.

The timber sales approved, and not yet recorded as cut, have the following
attributes.  This is the extra acres I missed the first time!

There is a total  of 551,299  acres approved for harvest,  266,120  acres
will have more than 70 percent of the living trees removed.   245,197  acres
will be clearcut.

So if they had clearcut a patch one mile east and one mile west of I-75; in
the last 20 years the clearcuts would stretch for 581 miles.  That's a
distance from Downtown Detroit all the way to the Mackinaw Bridge, and then
continuing across the UP all the way to Wisconsin.

On that 581 mile drive, 14 miles (approximately Gaylord to Vanderbilt) would
be proposed old growth; protected native habitat.  A nice 14 minute reprieve
from the nine and a half hours of clearcut scenery.

The timber mandate requires them to cut 855,000 cords, at the average cords
per acre that's 51,228 acres they have to clearcut to meet the goal, if
clearcutting was all they did.  Currently clearcutting produces 65 to 70
percent of the volume from State lands.

So write or call today, YOUR habitat depends on it.

Tim Flynn