E-M:/ We will miss Barbara Stanton!

Friends:

While this was a weekend chock full of all sorts of news, the item that
caught my attention and saddened me the most was the announcement that
Barbara Stanton, the Free Press editor who has virtually defined
environmental reporting and commentary in Michigan, is retiring from the
paper.

Even if you don't know Barbara, you know her exquisite prose.  For those
who love the lakes, forests and wild places of Michigan, Barbara has
captured our thoughts and feelings about these places in words with
remarkable accuracy.  For those unfortunate enough not to know our
beautiful places, Barbara has painted pictures that conjure up the
magnificence of these lands.  She has also made sure that the political
wheelings and dealings behind the attempts to degrade the beauty, or
pollute or sprawl across our state are exposed and held up to close
examination.

I want to thank Barbara for her decades of work to keep Michigan wonderful
and to make it better.  All who care about Michigan will miss her writing,
but I have no doubt that her words have inspired many to take up the fight
so essential to carry on her work.  I hope she has time to enjoy the places
she has helped to protect, and wish her the absolute best!

Anne Woiwode