E-M:/ Seminar / Training for Arctic Nat'l Wildlife Refuge organizing

Enviro-Mich message from KWinch5940@aol.com

NEEDED - someone from Michigan to attend this fun and informative weekend,
May 5-7 !   Please share widely ...  I have a registration form I could mail
to someone who would like to go.
Kim W.     kwinch5940@aol.com

REGISTER TODAY FOR MIDWEST WILDERNESS WEEKEND

The refuge needs the help of advocates like you! Please join us for Arctic
Wilderness Weekend - an Arctic Refuge Advocacy and Leadership Workshop!  The
goals of this workshop are to teach you more about the Arctic issue, help
you improve your effectiveness as an advocate, and put you in touch with
other amazing activists from the Midwest.

When: May 5 - 7, 2000

Where: The beautiful Indiana Dunes Environmental Living Center in
Chesterton, IN

Cost: The cost for the entire weekend is only $20. The conference fee will
cover two nights' stay at the Environmental Center, meals, workshops, and
materials.

To Register: Contact Bruce H. Kiracofe, Midwest Field Organizer with the
Alaska Wilderness League, (740) 427-4456 or brucek@alaskawild.org as soon as
possible to reserve your spot (space is limited). The training is available
to staff and volunteers from the following states: OH, IN, MI, IL, and WI.

We hope you will join us, and feel free to forward this invitation to your
conservation-minded friends and coworkers!

Arctic Wilderness Weekend Leadership and Advocacy Training
Draft Itinerary
FRIDAY MAY 5
7pm Meet with other participants, introductions and welcome, Alaska's Wild
Parks Slideshow
SATURDAY MAY 6
9:30am Training begins
Sample workshops include:
- The Last Great Wilderness Slideshow - presented by wildlife photographer
Lenny Kohm and Bobbie Jo Greenland of the Gwich'in people.
- Overview of the wilderness, wildlife, and cultural values of the Arctic
Refuge
- Mastering local media
- Recruiting volunteers
- Grassroots strategy and tactics
- Building a successful campaign
- Meeting with decision makers
- Guided bird walk / nature hike
SUNDAY MAY 7
Workshops continue. Training ends at 1pm.
--------------------------------------
INTERN WITH THE ALASKA WILDERNESS LEAGUE

Are you or someone you know interested in a summer internship with Alaska
Wilderness
League? The Alaska Wilderness League is a small non-profit organization
located in the heart of Washington, DC. AWL was created in 1993 to be a
"voice for Alaska's wilderness in the nation's capital" through a
combination of policy work, education, and grassroots advocacy. (For more
information on AWL, please check out our website at www.alaskawild.org)

Interns with AWL will have the opportunity to support the organization and
it's important work in a variety of ways. Duties may include: recruiting
volunteers both nationwide and in the DC area, contacting groups around the
country about our campaigns, preparing activist materials, doing literature
drops on Capitol Hill, research, preparing materials for the press and/or
decision makers, meeting with decision-makers and their staff, and general
administrative support.

Interns with AWL will experience an energetic office environment and a great
insider view of the national environmental community. They will have the
chance to network with other Washington-based groups and get a glimpse of
how things work on Capitol Hill. And most of all, they will have an
opportunity to make a substantial contribution to protecting Alaska's
environment.

Internships with AWL are unpaid. Interns are expected to work full time.
Housing is not provided but we are happy to point you in the right direction
to find affordable housing in the DC area. We are also happy to fill out the
necessary paperwork to help you get college credit. Internships typically
run from June - August.

Applicants should be highly organized, have solid written and oral
communication skills, be familiar with PC computer applications, and have a
positive attitude and personal desire to protect Alaska's environment. A
sense of humor is also welcomed!

To Apply: Please send a 1-page cover letter, resume, and at least 2
references to Alaska Wilderness League, 320 4th Street, NE, Washington, DC,
20002. You may also e-mail these items as Microsoft Word attachments to
jens@alaskawild.org