Fw: E-M:/ Fw: Fee Demo to be Extended ?!

Enviro-Mich message from "Delavan Sipes" <delavan@cybersol.com>

To all who will listen,

These fee programs have some serious shortcomings.  If our environment is
being preserved for esthetic as well as scientific reasons (not too mention
preservation of earth), it seems that if you don't belong to the money
crowd, you will no longer be able to enjoy the wilderness free of charge.
Aren't we making life difficult enough for those who are poor?  Now the
governments want to take away any opportunity the poorer folks have for
enjoying nature free of charge.  They won't be able to fish those rivers
without paying, nor canoe, nor float.  I'll bet they can't even wade without
paying.  These restrictions are ridiculous.  Remember the old saying, "The
best things in life are free. . ."  I'd like to add a clause, ". . . unless
the government gets a hold on them."

Restrictions should not discriminate against who may visit, only against how
many should visit.

I had the joyous opportunity in the mid-fifties to spend three days in
McKinley National Park (Denali).  It was glorious.  In three days we saw two
vehicles--one was ours.  One road, eighty miles long, that extended from the
railroad station (and hotel) to Wonder Lake.  We slept on the ground.  I
fly-fished Moose Creek.  We fried fresh grayling for lunch.  Denali obliged
us with an all day cloudless view.  A bit of rain brought scores of jack
rabbits out to the edge of the road where they sat like soldiers, maybe
one-hundred feet apart, for as long as it rained.  Whistling marmots
scampered around us, greeted us throughout the 24 hours of daylight.  We way
a massive herd of migrating caribou and a few grizzlies.
We had shipped the car to the hotel on the same train that we rode to get to
the park--it was marvelous.  There was no road that led to McKinley Park.

I returned to the park in the early eighties.  I drove to the park on the
"new" road that led the crowds to this wilderness mecca.
On the way there I was telling of my previous experience and was looking
forward to repeating it.  It was not to be.  I was stunned.  A tumultous
crowd milled about the hotel.  Cars were everywhere.  Camping in the park
was restricted to those who had made reservations almost one year in
advance.  Once you drove to your campsite, you were not allowed to leave it
with your vehicle until your camping time was up.  Then you were required to
drive directly to the exit.  Our alternative was to opt for a bus ride part
way into the park.  The road was still gravel, and narrow.  Busses were
stirring clouds of dust in both directions.  Hordes of people were wandering
about at the "stops".  The fragile alpine growth was nearly non-existent in
the visitor area, tampled out of existence.  Limits were well marked, so
that people did not wander off and destroy still more vegetation.  There
were only a few marmots in the visitor area.  Along the road, people stopped
and approached the casual grizzlies as though there were no danger.  Nowhere
was there a quiet area.  No place where one could just sit and admire the
beauty without the intrusion of the mindless crown.  I was devastated.   It
was the saddest wilderness experience of my life.
Denali had been destroyed in an effort to make the essence of its appeal
available to all, and in so doing had destroyed its appeal.  Is it still
magnificent?  I suppose so, but it will never be the Denali I loved.

Fee control or crowd control?  Given a choice, I would choose severe crowd
control.  With crowd control, visitation could be on a first come, first
served basis or it could be reserved for those who made advance
reservations.  Perhaps some other method of control could be exercised, but
to charge fees is an outrageous insult to the American people.
Delavan